Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Koi Net $40

Nisai

Thanks Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Funny to see this one come up. Bending pvc into a circle has its benefits(hot sand inside?). To attach loop to handle you could make the circle have 90deg legs that fit (squashed somewhat) into your handle. The tee connection takes a lot of stress so make it strong. Attach the net like I did with goop (first 6 spots around the loop and then continuous).

I have found that over time the pvc can get brittle and so the wrong drop or too much stress can break it. The net is buoyant and floating is good for some purposes, but it makes the net harder to push. I considered putting holes in the loop or possibly filling it, but this moves away from KISS.
    Guess u r the 1st person in the world to think up a PVC net .and once it is done I am going to call it a "Rob's Net" in your Honor...

and you are correct its "sand" inside .i still haven't removed it .it makes it heavy and takes care of the buoyancy problem ,so might just squirt some epoxy and leave it there .

Well sand and a hair dryer and a good pair of gloves have held the cost down . overall cost of the build should be less than 5$ USD.

so it would be perfect for a third world country ....

Going to the Hardware Store to look for a connector solution .

Regards,
    KK

You can purchase a sport fishing net at low cost and replace netting. Have one I have used for fishing for over fifty years and netted hundreds of trout and salmon. The new ruberised fishing nets are ideal for koi except for speed of moving them through water. One big advantage is that the fish will not jump out as quickly and when netting the mud pond proved themselves
    Regards
    Eugene

Sansai
    I bought the 1/4" net from JoAnn's fabric store in black. My machine did not have a wide enough stitch for me tonfeel secure so I sewed bias tape( cut down the middle fold) to the edge of the net and then sewed it back to the netting with a zig zag stitch. This was just to replace the rotted netting on an old net with a metal head, so the sleeve worked best for me for this application.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    You can purchase a sport fishing net at low cost and replace netting. Have one I have used for fishing for over fifty years and netted hundreds of trout and salmon. The new ruberised fishing nets are ideal for koi except for speed of moving them through water. One big advantage is that the fish will not jump out as quickly and when netting the mud pond proved themselves
    Regards
    Eugene
    Dear Eugene ,

Will surely try it the next time .

Difficult to get premium stuff here in India, I will have to buy short handled hand nets used buy commercial fishermen. the shop that sell commercial fishing equipment are very crowded and they have little time for customers who browse and have lot of questions.

Premium stuff is always imported and with the current $ exchange rates its difficult to afford .

Regards,
    KK

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
    I bought the 1/4" net from JoAnn's fabric store in black. My machine did not have a wide enough stitch for me tonfeel secure so I sewed bias tape( cut down the middle fold) to the edge of the net and then sewed it back to the netting with a zig zag stitch. This was just to replace the rotted netting on an old net with a metal head, so the sleeve worked best for me for this application.
    Hi Gloria,
    Could you please perhaps post a picture .. ? Just wanted to see how you have sewed on the basis tape on the edge , cant actually seem to picture in my mind how the basis tape helps ,if you have normally stitched it like a seam/sleev over the edge of the net material and then did did the zig-zag then the stiches are reenforced as they are bunching up a lot more material ..Right ?

Regards,
    KK

Sansai
    With only the netting, when I tried to sew the material it was kind 0f hit or miss as to whether the stitches hit in the right places on the two sides to securely fasten them together. Bias tape, for those that don't know, is fabric cut on the diagonal so there is flex in pretty much all directions. the two outside edges are folded to the middle then it is folded again along the mid line. I did not need that much thickness so split it down the middle giving me twice the length and one folded edge. The net edge was inserted into this fold and sewn in place; this edge was then folded over for the metal rim sleeve and sewn in place. There may be an easier way to do it if you are a seamstress, but this worked pretty well for me and seems very secure. There was a little easing of the seam needed as I sewed it, but nothing dramatic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Koi Net -img_4171.jpg   DIY Koi Net -img_4172.jpg   DIY Koi Net -img_4173.jpg  

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by GloriaL View Post
    With only the netting, when I tried to sew the material it was kind 0f hit or miss as to whether the stitched hit in the right places on the two sides to securely fasten them together. Bias tape, for those that don't know, is fabric cut on the diagonal so there is flex in pretty much all directions. the two outside edges are folded to the middle then it is folded again along the mid line. I did not need that much thickness so split it down the middle giving me twice the length and one folded edge. The net edge was inserted into this fold and sewn in place; this edge was then folded over for the metal rim sleeve and sewn in place. There may be an easier way to do it if you are a seamstress, but this worked pretty well for me and seems very secure. There was a little easing of the seam needed as I sewed it, but nothing dramatic.
    Tnx Gloria , That helps a lot ....didn't know about bias tape .....

Regards
    KK

Sansai
    No problem, hope that helps!

Nisai

Rob's Net Version 1.0 17" dia - length 6"

Happy To announce the "Rob's net" is ready .After our beloved Rob F.

DIY Koi Net -20140608_205249-1-.jpgDIY Koi Net -20140608_205245-1-.jpgDIY Koi Net -20140608_205132-1-.jpg

Materials
    1)PVC Tube 1/2 "- Thick underground 1.25 meters -
    2) 'T' joint 3/4 "-
    3) Bush reducer 3/4" to 1/2" -2 Nos
    4) Stainless steel Matt finish tubing 3/4" -1.5 meters
    5) Netting material- 3/4 to 1 meters.

Regards,
    KK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Koi Net -20140606_133749-1-.jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123