Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Koi Net $40

DIY Koi Net $40

And now for something completely different!

Here is my 24” diameter DIY Koi net with an 8’ wooden handle. If you see room for improvement or if you build one and can relate useful info about your experience post it so when and if someone is looking for a DIY net they have the benefit of everyone’s experience. Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nisai
    nicely done!

Good idea. I saved that. None of my nets have long enough handles on them.

Great net!

I've been wanting to get a good Japanese net but my smallest fish is 25". I can't afford a $500 net but I can sure build one!

Thanks for the directions.

Oyagoi
    worst i see is the ridges from the 45 degree connections and straight pipe and possible scale come off if they make an escape.

If you sneeze, sometimes their scales come off, too. Just teasing.

You can always file down the sharp edges of pvc to prevent injury.

I wish you'd posted this before we tried to catch fish tonight! We used a 32" net and another smaller net from Lowe's and a seine net and sure could have used a 3rd net. That fish was a bugger!

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    You can always file down the sharp edges of pvc to prevent injury.

I wish you'd posted this before we tried to catch fish tonight! We used a 32" net and another smaller net from Lowe's and a seine net and sure could have used a 3rd net. That fish was a bugger!

Thanks for sharing.
    That's a good idea. Wondering if some extra material could go around the loop?

I’ll bubble this one back up to show a few pictures and address a couple of comments.

One feature that makes the Shiro Muji net different from most koi nets is the direct attachment of the net itself to the frame. When I started this project for the sake of thoroughness I included direct attachment as a possibility. But since I hadn’t seen it done before I figured other means of attachment would be better. But for the low cost DIY koi net gluing the net on may be the way to go.

The photos show experimental pieces. The first two are the two sides of the proper way to Goop the net onto the frame. Just stick it on one layer thick (and on an actual net keep the folded edge on the inner center line). The third photo is a glued net with the cut edge wrapped under. This works but it makes a bigger bulge and offers no benefit that I can see.

Since Shiro Muji floats so it is not hard to bring it up, but you do have to push it down. The buoyancy of the Shiro Muji is both an advantage and a disadvantage.

I used the 3/16” knotless nylon net the but the larger weave ¼” that is available from the same source (AES) and would probably be better. The net material is the only item on Shiro Muji’s parts list that is somewhat hard to get, everything else is at Home Depot. The netting should be knotless and that is the trick to find and get it at a low cost consistent with the overall concept. So if someone knows where to get net material with a wider space that would be worth posting.

The net frame can be made black by painting it with black spray paint for plastic. This saves cleaning the pvc and the Goop that holds the net paints over just fine. From what I see from my experimental piece the net material will also take the black paint (not too heavy).

I tried to smooth the transition between the pvc pipe and the 45 degree elbows without much success. No reason it couldn’t be done but you are going to need something more powerful than just sandpaper. Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Koi Net -smuji-1.jpg   DIY Koi Net -smuji-2.jpg   DIY Koi Net -smuji-3.jpg   DIY Koi Net -smuji-4.jpg  

material

RobF, the material you show is almost identical to some I got from an upholstery shop. In fact, the owner of the shop gave me the material for free because it was just a scrap, and I made it as a window to my dog's soft-sided kennel. It also comes in black.

This is purely my opinion, but I would sew the material with pockets to have the tubing slide through it, rather than glue it, and perhaps allow more material so the net is deeper. I know guys don't do or think of these things (like sewing it), but that is my opinion of it since that would be easy for me to do.

As far as the joints, I am sure an electric grinder would do it, or if there were some way to wrap it with something, such as that plumber's tape that is useful for a lot of things.
    ------------
    "Imperfection is beauty. Madness is genius & it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring." ~Marilyn Monroe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast