Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Softening Hard Water

Softening Hard Water

Okay, there are water softeners.

But what else? And what is hard water and how do you soften it other than using a water softener on the whole house?

From the Water Quality Association (Water Quality Association)
    Hard Water
    Because more than 60 percent of the earth's water is groundwater, it travels through rock and soil picking up minerals, including calcium and magnesium along the way. These two contaminants produce what is commonly referred to as "hardness" in water. Generally speaking, hardness is measured in grains per gallon (gpg).
    So I bought one of these filbur garden hose filters Amazon.com: FC-3128 Filbur Garden Hose Filter: Home Improvement. I'm not selling these, this link is just for anybody's information and to cite where I got the info on the filter specs.

From the ad:
    Removes solids, dirt, sediment, rust, calcium, iron and copper from your water
    Reduces hard mineral deposits
    So does this mean my water will be softer now?

This is probably just my imagination but I think the fish are growing better already.

I called Filbur but had to leave a message with the technical person. I want to know if they can tell me how many gallons the filter is good for.

Does anyone know if a filter like that will soften hard water?
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Tategoi
    With the way we use water you'll be going through a ton of those little things and it doesn't state that it removes magnesium ....the other half of GH.

So what's wrong with the water coming out of your tap? How hard is it? You can drive youself nuts chasing numbers

My GH and KH are 300 on a test strip.

I hope this guy calls me back because I can ask if it removes magnesium or maybe they carry one that does.

I'm putting in around 10-12 gallons an hour I think. At least 10.

I was told hard water is stressful to the koi. Plus, it ruined my two Shusui. And may be the culprit in my disappearing reds.

I notice there are no longer calcium deposits all over everything, like the edges of things sticking into the pond, like the liner, pipes, etc.

Would removing only the calcium do anything to lower the hardness? Will removing the calcium mess with the GH and KH? I mean, to the point I'd have to worry about PH? They were same last week.

I'm trying to get a handle on understanding the whole hard/soft water issue.

Tategoi
    Hi No question that your water is hard but that little unit is made for topping a hotub/spa and running 200gallons of water per day through it is not what it was made for. .. I think that you'll be buying one a week for medicore results.

GH, KH and pH are all intertwined and messing with one affects the others.

As for stress from hardwater...I've never seen any science to back that one up and I see absolutely no reason that it would. Extremely soft water , approaching RO levels, would be stressfull.

There's no question that hard water brings out shimis... I've got the fish to prove it . As to whether it destroys beni and makes it disappear...the jury is out on that one. My water isn't all that hard and I've had beni go poof....water chemistry or genetics or a combo...who knows.

If I had major $$ show fish instead of the run of the mill show fish, maybe I would look at chasing numbers...other than that I use what comes out of tap

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Hi No question that your water is hard but that little unit is made for topping a hotub/spa and running 200gallons of water per day through it is not what it was made for. .. I think that you'll be buying one a week for medicore results.

GH, KH and pH are all intertwined and messing with one affects the others.

As for stress from hardwater...I've never seen any science to back that one up and I see absolutely no reason that it would. Extremely soft water , approaching RO levels, would be stressfull.

There's no question that hard water brings out shimis... I've got the fish to prove it . As to whether it destroys beni and makes it disappear...the jury is out on that one. My water isn't all that hard and I've had beni go poof....water chemistry or genetics or a combo...who knows.

If I had major $$ show fish instead of the run of the mill show fish, maybe I would look at chasing numbers...other than that I use what comes out of tap
    Peppy still believes that it was "hard water" that ruined her Shusuis and the reason she lost the red and is concentrating her efforts and resources on obtaining soft water in her pond.

I agree, stick and live with what comes out of the tap. BTW: My city says my tap water has an average pH of 7.4 and an average hardness of 554.

Tategoi
    I've never heard of Shusui loosing beni to hard water, but that doesn't mean much. Were these fish siblings from the same breeder? Then is might be genetics...from different breeders then maybe water.

maybe JR can answer the beni/genetics question for Shusui/Asagi

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I've never heard of Shusui loosing beni to hard water, but that doesn't mean much. Were these fish siblings from the same breeder? Then is might be genetics...from different breeders then maybe water.

maybe JR can answer the beni/genetics question for Shusui/Asagi
    I have never had a problem with "red" in Shusui/Asagi.

The problem has been with "black".

I have learned from experience, when buying small 4" - 6" Shusui and Asagi, that the baby Shusui/Asagi that look the best will darken with age and end up being junk.
    It has been my experience that you have to select the lighter palest blue ones with the cleanest heads and wait for the black to come up.

Of course, if you are looking for real show quality Koi, buy bigger fish.

I got a Shusui from a fellow hobbiest who has extremely hard water. Hard enough to form deposits on his Kaldness and sink them. The blue of the Shusui had started to turn black.

With record rains the last 3 months, my water is extremely soft. shimi's are gone but a few of my utsuris are failing and the Shusui is going from blue/black to white.

Tategoi
    I think Peppy needs to look for another cause to the beni disappearing.

I think Peppy needs to send the water off for testing to find out what it really looks like Generic advice on water you only know the bare minimum on isn't of any value which is why I encouraged that in the first place. A true in depth analysis of the raw water gives you a starting point to work from. Raw numbers only give a general sense of direction but no context for an effective solution to problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast