Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality Koi at NKF Sale Fish

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Hey I'm going to Quality Koi! So thanks for the sales tip!

I got a Platinum Ogon last year. So the koi in your picture is a Yamabuki? And it will get yellow? Is that what you're saying? Is that what they do? Because I notice a certain way my Platinum Ogon turns, it looks like there is some pale yellow here and there. Does mine want to be a Yamabuki? Or is it just a bad example of a Platinum Ogon?

I believe the parent fish are Yamabuki Ogons, I know the female is a beautiful shade of yellow. It is my understanding that the pale ones will turn yellow with age,,,,but their are lots of shades in between. There is lots to appreiate about a single color fish. These fish have great fukerin and Mat has culled for scale alignment and shine. Good luck with your shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Hey I'm going to Quality Koi! So thanks for the sales tip!

I got a Platinum Ogon last year. So the koi in your picture is a Yamabuki? And it will get yellow? Is that what you're saying? Is that what they do? Because I notice a certain way my Platinum Ogon turns, it looks like there is some pale yellow here and there. Does mine want to be a Yamabuki? Or is it just a bad example of a Platinum Ogon?
    Please see How to choose tosai Yamabuki Ogon.

The picture I posted of the pond full of Yamabuki Ogons were from Izumiya and are probably too yellow for future shown potential.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Please see How to choose tosai Yamabuki Ogon.

The picture I posted of the pond full of Yamabuki Ogons were from Izumiya and are probably too yellow for future shown potential.

Thank you for the link .......It was very informative, I am looking forward to watching my koi mature.

As Troy indicated, you cannot be certain that a pale one will become bright yellow when it is fully grown. It might remain a cream-yellow. The chances of having a very large Yamabuki that is bright yellow and does not have orange speckling are better if acquiring a light colored young koi, but there is a risk of it remaining cream-yellow. And, it can take many years for the color to solidify. Some say the color of a Yamabuki never ceases to intensify, although after 8 years the progression is very slow. Checking the parent fish is helpful, but best is the breeder's knowledge of how his Ogons develop. Yamabuki may all "look the same", but they are not all the same. It has long been considered that the best in the world were those produced by Isumiya. This was not because his won lots of awards in the smaller sizes, although they got their share. It was because his best had high metallic sheen and clean coloration at enormous size, even exceeding one meter. Not everyone can maintain a meter long Ogon with the bulk of a hippo. Not every Isumiya Yamabuki attains that size. But, they do have outstanding strength even in more normal size ranges.

The Yamabuki produced by NKF come from Isumiya oyagoi. I understand that Isumiya lost his oyagoi in the earthquake and had to re-stock by looking for candidates among ones owned by certain customers. I have not heard how that effort went.

Sansai
    I won't be disappointed if my fish does not turn yellow since I like it as it is, and if no red freckels show up I'll be happy. BY the way,,,,,,does anyone know if the tone or color of Ogons is judged or points given in Koi Show?

I believe the judges would say that the color is not important per se, that it is how even and solid the color appears, together with the degree of metallic shine. However, no matter how rational and objective a judge may try to be, I do not think anyone can stop themselves from favoring a true bright yellow over a cream-yellow. They simply stand out so strongly, especially in a blue vat.

Mike,
    Do you know if Sakai inc got stock from Isumiya oyagoi for ogon? This past Orlando show I got a Sakai Inc light yellow male and female ogon from Russell and I am amaze how much growth both have done, almost double in size and length.

I do not know about the fish Russell had available. I'm glad you're getting good growth and the hot Summer is not causing a problem.

My understanding is that a number of breeders of Ogons have oyagoi with Isumiya-produced parentage in their background. Like with other varieties, the genetics of fish from different sources get mixed together. Unlike gosanke varieties, there is not much done to keep track of different lineages of Yamabuki. The market for Yamabuki, like all Ogons, is for quick sales at young ages, so not many breeders would care to have slow developing Yamabuki. Not many people in the whole world would pay thousands for a Yamabuki. Most want a Yamabuki for its presence in the pond and not for show, so why pay a dear price?

Quote Originally Posted by gjs63 View Post
    I won't be disappointed if my fish does not turn yellow since I like it as it is, and if no red freckels show up I'll be happy. BY the way,,,,,,does anyone know if the tone or color of Ogons is judged or points given in Koi Show?
    In the old days, before English style shows, it was a lot easier for the novice to learn about how Ogons were judged.

Looking into a show tank with a half a dozen or more Ogons together side-by-side in the same size class, you could see the difference.

I remember the more experienced hobbyist (and judges) pointing out body conformation, clean head, and "sheen". There was also the advantage of "size".

If all things being about equal, in a 7" - 10" size class, a 9.75 inch Koi has an advantage over a 7.25 inch Koi.

To answer your question, I agree with Mike, the color of Ogon would be way down the list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12