Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Help identify mystery fry?

Fry

Help identify mystery fry?

My mother and I discovered about six weeks ago that we had a large number of fry in our pond. At the time, we had roughly 10 koi, 1 shubunkin, and 1 pesky comet in the pond. We usually know when the fish are spawning because of their excitable activity at the shallow end of the pond, and we know that at least some koi were involved in the making of these fry. Soon after discovering them, I removed the fry from the pond and have been keeping them in a 5 gallon tank inside (that they are outgrowing and will soon be moved to the pond again) and I've been observing them as they have grown.

I've read that koi/goldfish cross fry are often brown on top with yellow/orange on the bottom, and there are a few fry fitting that description. But a majority of them are a bright gold in color (much like our big female Ogon, aptly named Goldie.) They all do seem to have the shape of a comet/goldfish and I haven't spotted any barbels yet (they're barely an inch long), but could one lousy little comet manage to fertilize all of the koi eggs? Do they all look like koi/goldfish cross fry? There are nine pictures of the fry in my gallery. Any opinions much welcome!

Peppy has some goldiekoi crosses they look like koi, but have no barbles. I think what you have though are koi. I had about 25 koi fry given to me they started off an ugly brown color then started to change. I culled that group down to 9 fish. of the 9 three where ugly drk green brown. These fish have changed the most. One of them turned black and had two white spots on its head with white tipped fins. Yesterday we noticed one of the white spots dissapered.

Anyways keep their water good, feed them good food, and think about if you have room for that many additions to your pond.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Well, they are fish...but beyond that these pix just don't reveal much.
    It'll take a little more time to see if they develop barbels, but by the time they gain another inch you should be able to tell. If they turn out to be hybrids just use 'em for bait 'cause those aren't worth spending any time on. If they are Koi they're probably still just bait quality, but at least you can have some fun with them while they grow

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Well, they are fish...but beyond that these pix just don't reveal much.
    It'll take a little more time to see if they develop barbels, but by the time they gain another inch you should be able to tell. If they turn out to be hybrids just use 'em for bait 'cause those aren't worth spending any time on. If they are Koi they're probably still just bait quality, but at least you can have some fun with them while they grow
    In some areas they are "bait fish" and some areas they are "feeder goldfish".

The bottom line is you will have to make the decision to cull before they get much bigger than 2 inches.

It is a lot harder to try and "give away" a 6 - 9 inch bait and/or feeder fish.

I dunno Ric put them on craig's list for the right price and they might be off to new homes. Infact I just came in from "selling" fish. I had two different people interested. I am happy to know that 5 of the remaining 7 crapagoi fry are going to a 1000 gallon 4 foot deep pond with BD! And not some overglorified water garden kit.

Oh and Papa that one Chuck that was brown then silver then black with a white splotch on his head and white tipped fins, IS an Ochiba with sorta neat markings.

I now only have Lucky the Strange, and that Showa throwback we call Wombat from the crapagoi spawn.