Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi/goldfish hybrid

Fry

Koi/goldfish hybrid

Edit: It won't let me embed pictures on here, so here is the link to the album of Tigra's pictures.

This is Tigra. She's my two year old koi/comet goldfish hybrid. She's roughly 6 inches long (I'm sure she would be bigger, but the small pond she's been in was a bit crowded until recently.) She's inside for a few days because I'm trying to get her used to people so she won't hide all of the time.

You can't really see it in the pictures, but she has two sets of barbels and extremely pronounced flares above her nostrils. She's a very pretty fish and definitely one of my favorites in our small pond.

Meg
    bringing her in wont work, time and regular feeding pond side will get her past the shyness....and nice treats like shrimp

That is a Goldiegoi that took more after its Koi parent than its goldfish parent. I pulled out my Koi for Dummies book and made comparisons. Your fish has the detatched dorsal fin of a comet or goldfish, but the shape of the dorsal looks more like a koi's. Also your fish has a single fin just before the tail like a koi instead of the double like a goldie.

Anyway that aside, I agree with Meg. An aquarium setting and a pond setting are two different things. I am not sure how well fish can see but in an aquarium the fish look out. In a pond the fish look up. It seems to me that my fish in the above ground pond are less shy than when they lived in the in ground pond. Sean belives it has to do with the size profile, smaller is not as scary as huge.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    That is a Goldiegoi that took more after its Koi parent than its goldfish parent. huge.
    She is by far the most koi-like of her siblings. Most of them are orange or orange with white ventral and fins. And all of them started out brown then slowly turned orange from the bottom up. Her face especially has a metallic orange that contrasts beautifully with the black mask and makes her look more koi-like.

I am not so sure that is a hybrid...I think it is a koi. According to all I have ever read, hybrids always have either only a single set of barbels, or none at all. You say your fish has two sets. Attached is a great link written by a goldfish expert that goes into a ton of detail, so you can know for sure. It involves counting rows of scales and rays in the dorsal fin because goldfish and koi have different numbers in these two areas.

Koi/Goldfish Hybrids - Aquaria Central

The fish won't tame down in the house. If anything, being in a tank usually frightens fish that are used to being in a pond setting.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    The fish won't tame down in the house. If anything, being in a tank usually frightens fish that are used to being in a pond setting.
    First off, thank you for that link! It was so informative and I will definitely be referring to it again when my new crop of possibly hybrid fry are big enough to really examine.

As for Tigra, I'm 100% positive she is a hybrid because she was conceived in a pond with one male Utsuri-type koi and a bunch of orange and white comets. We had removed the male koi from the big bond because of a wound on his fin (which healed quite nicely) and because he was chasing all of the other koi nonstop. I didn't even consider they might be ready to spawn because it was the middle of August and our koi usually spawn in May/June (and into July this year thanks to the weather).

Anyway, I was actually wondering if the parentage had anything to do with how the hybrid offspring turned out. Like with mules (jack donkey and horse mare) and hinnies (horse stallion and jenny donkey), the physical attributes are stunningly different. So maybe variation in koi/goldfish hybrids has to do with whether their mother or father is the koi?

And as for the taming in the tank - Tigra and 8 of her siblings were kept in a larger tank for about six months when they were younger. She is already calmed down and follows me around the room in her tank. She's a friendly fish, but she's been in a murky pond for almost a year and I just wanted her to socialize a bit again.

In the picture she only has 1 set of barbles. Peppy's Goldigoi crosses don't have any. Also if you look at the shape of the base of Tigra's tail it looks deeper or thicker than a koi's. I find the crosses interesting to look at. I mean realy think of all the different possibilities that a goldiegoi could end up with.