Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: showa trying to turn "shiro"

showa trying to turn "shiro"

we've had the debate.

do I hold onto this onto this one or no? Junichi had pointed out that holding onto it for a few years could mean a nice shiro, just like there's a maybe in lots of showa turning out with sumi coming up.

Hold onto for another year? Put in a QT with some harder water to break up remaining beni? What do you think?

Purchased it last spring as 6" tosai (wife pick), then it began losing beni immediately. My water is soft and pH is in the 7.0 range. With my water is beni likely to hold on?

First picture is at purchase, then two from today, then a comparison over a year.

edit: it is now 15-16".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails showa trying to turn "shiro"-100_0736.jpg   showa trying to turn "shiro"-dsc01337.jpg   showa trying to turn "shiro"-dsc01338.jpg   showa trying to turn "shiro"-change.jpg  
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

It is my understanding from discussion that i have had with a Shinkokai judge that sumi is stronger in the back of the fish that in the front while beni is stronger in the front of the koi.

A shiro utsuri that has even a slight hi marking in the middle to rear of the koi is an indication of a strong hi gene which normally indicates that the beni will flare up later in life....but then again this was a showa that lost its beni, so im not sure if the same rule can be applied.

It would definatly make a nice SU, I notice on the last photo that it gained a new hi spot that wasnt there before...If i had to take a guess i would say it would never go away completely.

Ive had only 2 koi that ever losts its beni, a sanke and a showa and neither ever cleared up 100% but i only kept it for another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    we've had the debate.

do I hold onto this onto this one or no? Junichi had pointed out that holding onto it for a few years could mean a nice shiro, just like there's a maybe in lots of showa turning out with sumi coming up.

Hold onto for another year? Put in a QT with some harder water to break up remaining beni? What do you think?

Purchased it last spring as 6" tosai (wife pick), then it began losing beni immediately. My water is soft and pH is in the 7.0 range. With my water is beni likely to hold on?

First picture is at purchase, then two from today, then a comparison over a year.

edit: it is now 15-16".
    WOW!! To me this is an example of a fish that improved from the first picture! If you have the room I would keep it until the time you decide that it is taking up space in your pond.

Ethan, I have never had occassion to reply to one of your posts but I do now.

I know you buy better fish than I do, but I just gave away my Isa Showa that also lost nearly all its red. Well, actually, got an entire twenty bucks for it!

I thought hi never came back? If it does come back, I'll be mighty upset since the rest of the fish looked pretty dang good.

In the picture of your Showa, all the white looks really white to my eye. Is there any indication at all where the red used to be? I only ask because at certain angles in certain light, I could still tell where the red used to be on mine because that area never got the bright white like the original white areas.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Meg
    seems to me the hi hasn't receded any in the last 10 months but what little there is has become a deeper color, more stable(?) ...not sure how to say what I see.
    anyway that is my 2 cents, my guess is that little bit of hi is not going away.
    I say keep it if you think the shiro/showa can still teach something....and if you need pond room get rid of the LF yama with the tiny long fins,

You have to set your own priorities, Ethan. Like Meg, I'd move on the longfins first. Then I'd re-home any males.

I think the time has come when you can set a limit for your pond, and then follow the rule that no fish can come until one has left. You are past the period of learning to keep koi alive. It is time to move toward maximizing each koi you have.

I'm sure your daughter loves the LF so I could see you keeping it if it helps to keep her interested in the hobby. I believe I've seen photos of ponds that belong to Koi Judges that contained LF's. Not sure that's a proper way to judge the level of a Hobbyist.

On the other hand this koi has "Failed" and will always throw Beni as I've stated before. Time to move it so the other Koi can Thrive even more.

Beni was weak even in the first picture. Thats one I wouldnt have even taken a chance on. Dump it.