Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using filter water for veggies

Using filter water for veggies

Would it be safe to use the filter cleaning water and water change water for watering a veggie garden?

Sandy,

I posted a similar question a year or so ago on KS, and since, I haven't had any burn problems.

I don't clean my filter very often as my pond is mostly flow through anymore. So when I do dump the micro screen and clean the filter, a ton of sludge fills the garden.

The only thing I am anal about is not having any veggies in the rows that are in direct contact with the water.

When I do clean the filter I do about a 50/50 with raw water added to the pond sludge.

You are way more on top of your water and filter than I, so I'd say everyday use would be ok.

Edit: this year has been horrible out here for everyone I know growing veggies. Just a strange year I guess. The only thing I have flurishing is Cukes, and Watermelons.
    Tomatos, eggplant, zucchini were all flops.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

The only problem comes when salt or chemical additives have been placed in the pond. These can have an adverse effect on plant roots, depending on the additive, or may be drawn into the plant. Since malachite green is a potential carcinogen, it would not be wise to use water treated with it in a vegetable garden. Many of the chemical additives used in ponds remain present to some degree long after they have decomposed below therapeutic strength.

I no longer use salt for any purpose because all water discharged from my pond irrigates the garden areas around it.

The only way I wouldn't would be after dosing with chemicals, which you aren't doing. Otherwise, there is no way I would let it go to waste. On the garden, fruit trees, even just in the yard. If you have a dry compost heap I'd use it as an accelerator to kick things off.

MCA
    About the only thing I can think of would be a caution if for some reason there had be elevated salt content in the water. The salt could nuke the plants. Other chemicals in the pond, ( ie PP, FMG) should have already been spent/neutralized before they are leaving the pond.

Malachite Green has been detected in fish long after their last exposure, which is why it cannot be used with food fish.

MCA
    good point....maybe water from a FMG treated pond should not be used...even after it is spent. Don't know what the plant uptake would be...so dont take any chances.

Research aquaponics.

I would set it up to bypass the veggie filter if I needed to. In 21 years of keeping koi, I've only salted my pond once and that was after Katrina. I've never used any chemical in the ponds but that doesn't mean I won't have to in the future.

I was just worried about the plants using the bacteria "nasty" sludge that comes out of the filters and it being a health risk.

Here is my koi pond sewage treatment plant. I have a flow through open system so all waste products end up here in this mud hole. It is between avocado trees on the farm. I ellected to do this treatment rather than draining waste into a dug hole in the ground which would go directly into our water aquifer. I still drink my well water!
    The trees seem to be ok with the added moisture and fertilizer. I also find a number of baby koi that have managed to escape from breeding. Thery are growing and seem very healthy so this shows there is a good ballance of food and bacteria in sewage pond. I also have used salt, mb, pp and have never had a problem. I eat the fruit too!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Using filter water for veggies-aquaponics-001.jpg-3.jpg   Using filter water for veggies-aquaponics-002-4.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast