Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Ok..here she is, New Hoshikin Kohaku!!

  1. #1
    Honmei Brutuscz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,826

    Ok..here she is, New Hoshikin Kohaku!!

    I have been searching for a while for a Hoshikin kohaku..and she is finally here. These pics were snapped right out of the bag. It is a 20inch female...I am not sure of the age. The dealer was Mokoi. I am new to buying from them...but, I was impressed. My new koi is KHV tested and quarantined for 16weeks. The service was great...no complaints at all. ...and I am a guy who can make a few complaints when I am not happy.
    Opinions are appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ok..here she is, New Hoshikin Kohaku!!-9-1-10hoshikin2.jpg  

  2. #2
    Daihonmei PapaBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Davenport, Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,726
    A very simple but elegant looking pattern
    For just coming out of the bag the condition looks very good and stress free. Very clean looking frame with nice uniformity from head to tail. The uniform color of the hi plates looks nice and thick too. I don't know what you paid, but if the price tag was reasonable I'd be very pleased right now if I was in your shoes.
    You do know how to celebrate your daughter's Birthday don't you Have you shown her her "celebration Koi" yet? She needs to know how much she inspires her daddy
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

  3. #3
    Daihonmei aquitori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NorCal Biotch!!!
    Posts
    9,133
    Is Moikoi in the Cali? A bit skinny to be female and especially coming out of the growing season or prior to shipping fasting.

    The kohaku looks okay, I would like to see a pic by the end of September to see the progress, from there I will throw in my 2 cents...

  4. #4
    Honmei Brutuscz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Is Moikoi in the Cali? A bit skinny to be female and especially coming out of the growing season or prior to shipping fasting.

    The kohaku looks okay, I would like to see a pic by the end of September to see the progress, from there I will throw in my 2 cents...
    Mokoi is mcbrides oak ridge koi in missouri. The owner seemed very knowledgeble....khv testing, quarantining..etc. He told me it is definitely a female, and he has had it since october. So, it may have been living in a quarantine setup all this time. He quarantines a minimum of 3months before putting a koi on his website. I liked that all his pics are untouched. Breeds his own as well. I will fatten her up for sure....koi don't stay very thin in my care I feed 5 times a day usually...with a heavy hand and a 40% protein formula. I can tell you the quality of the beni is screaming red. Really impressive...and the shiro is getting better by the hour since her arrival. I actually told the owner that he should advertise here. His prices were very good..and his service was great. Hopefully, he is one of the good guys in the hobby.


    If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

  5. #5
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Mokoi is mcbrides oak ridge koi in missouri. The owner seemed very knowledgeble....khv testing, quarantining..etc. He told me it is definitely a female, and he has had it since october. So, it may have been living in a quarantine setup all this time. He quarantines a minimum of 3months before putting a koi on his website. I liked that all his pics are untouched. Breeds his own as well. I will fatten her up for sure....koi don't stay very thin in my care I feed 5 times a day usually...with a heavy hand and a 40% protein formula. I can tell you the quality of the beni is screaming red. Really impressive...and the shiro is getting better by the hour since her arrival. I actually told the owner that he should advertise here. His prices were very good..and his service was great. Hopefully, he is one of the good guys in the hobby.
    where in Missouri?

  6. #6
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    where in Missouri?
    See: McBride's Oakridge Koi - Koi For Sale, page 6 and McBride's Oakridge Koi (417) 540-0699.

    I think Brutuscz got a good deal.

  7. #7
    Oyagoi woodyaht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Stockton,Ca.
    Posts
    1,471
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Is Moikoi in the Cali? A bit skinny to be female and especially coming out of the growing season or prior to shipping fasting.

    The kohaku looks okay, I would like to see a pic by the end of September to see the progress, from there I will throw in my 2 cents...


    Gonna ride Tonio's coattails on this one.
    looks aweful skinny for female. The patern...... Ehhhh ok. I'd pass on this one...........

  8. #8
    Oyagoi HEADACHE6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,112
    Bobby , Congrat's on the New Purchase and for the reason you got the Koi it will always be special .

    The Body : I (we) have no idea what this koi has been through in the last 4 months , maybe more (fall of 2009 ?) . I'd like to know when the dealer bought the koi and how long they've had it . For all we know the dealer fed this koi once a week , causing the possible frame issue . I will state this , Having purchased a Hoshikin Kohaku I can tell you mine has a totally different frame then yours . Mine almost looks to have a Showa body with a large hump in the shoulder (One of the reasons for the purchase) .

    Are you 100% sure the Kohaku is female ?

    My guess is this koi was born in 2008 , I believe Hoshikin Koi are known to grow at a slower rate so I don't see this Kohaku being 16 months old , more like 28 months .

    The area on the right side of the koi just before the dorsal , I hope that doesn't end up being a weak area of beni .
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

  9. #9
    Honmei Brutuscz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Bobby , Congrat's on the New Purchase and for the reason you got the Koi it will always be special .

    The Body : I (we) have no idea what this koi has been through in the last 4 months , maybe more (fall of 2009 ?) . I'd like to know when the dealer bought the koi and how long they've had it . For all we know the dealer fed this koi once a week , causing the possible frame issue . I will state this , Having purchased a Hoshikin Kohaku I can tell you mine has a totally different frame then yours . Mine almost looks to have a Showa body with a large hump in the shoulder (One of the reasons for the purchase) .

    Are you 100% sure the Kohaku is female ?

    My guess is this koi was born in 2008 , I believe Hoshikin Koi are known to grow at a slower rate so I don't see this Kohaku being 16 months old , more like 28 months .

    The area on the right side of the koi just before the dorsal , I hope that doesn't end up being a weak area of beni .
    Thanks!! I was told he purchased the group from Hoshikin back in october. He quarantined them for 3months before putting them on his site. They all had similar conformation on the site...so, they are problably in a quarantine tank, not being fed a great deal. I was told it was definitely female...and I checked the abdomen, seemed to be female. Any time I bought one that came in thin..I have always managed to fix that situation. I bought a marudo showa this year and it came in very thin from kodama. Not any more..a greedy eater and filling out beautifully. I can tell you the height of this kohaku is good...so, that hump look may happen. That area of beni does not look weak...but, if the pattern splits, I will be equally happy with it.
    I only buy kohaku with big patterns these days. I have one from Yamamatsu that had an ok pattern at 16in. Now, 24+in and way too sparse for me. I think this pattern will reveal more shiro laterally as she fills out...hopefully at 30+in. This one was not a big investment at $360 shipped, but I like her potential. Skin quality looks fantastic this morning as the stress from shipping has subsided.

  10. #10
    Oyagoi HEADACHE6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,112
    I bought a Sanke (Nisai) that was suppose to be female , but is definitely MALE , It happens . Hopefully not in your case .

    30+" Hoshikin Kohaku , If mine get's there I'll be a Very Happy Hobbyist !

    I'm glad to hear the area I spoke about is strong , I see no way that it would break clean , even at 30" .



    For anyone who reads this , Am I right that Hoshikin Kohaku are known for not getting very large (30+") ?

    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hoshikin kohaku
    By tara in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
  2. The Hoshikin Kohaku
    By farne230 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM
  3. Compare Hoshikin Kohaku to Yamamatsu(Matsunosuke) Kohaku?
    By Shigure&HiUtsuri in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 10:59 AM
  4. Compare Hoshikin Kohaku to Yamamatsu(Matsunosuke) Kohaku?
    By Shigure&HiUtsuri in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 10:25 PM
  5. Hoshikin Kohaku
    By Russell Peters in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com