Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what kind of koi this is

Does anyone know what kind of koi this is

I think this koi is unique, it looks like Kohaku and Asagi mix. Does anyone know anybody selling one like this?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post

I think this koi is unique, it looks like Kohaku and Asagi mix. Does anyone know anybody selling one like this?
    I thought that Koi looked familiar...

According to the picture's caption on page 43, Modern Nishikigoi Basic Varieties and Unique Koi by Dr. Takeo Kuroki, it is a "Kanoko Kohaku".

According to the book (page 41) "Kanoko (Dapple-patterned) Kohaku whose Hi appears on each scale."

ah yes Ricshaw, I see the description now from the website I pulled that image off of.

koi photos kawarimono appreciation akakoi.com

Kanoko which means "fawn" refers to the red dappled pattern found on some koi, such as "Kanoko Kohaku", "Kanoko Sanshoku" and Kanoko Showa". Incompletely or spotty dappled patterns are undesirable. Koi with red dapples forming clumps like bunches of grapes are called "Goten-zakura". The Hikari forms of Kanoko Kohaku and Goten-zakura are called "Sakura Ogon" and "Kin-zakura" respectively.

DAPPLE PATTERN ARE UNDESIRABLE Well, I would have still bought it if I found one like that.

The 'dappled pattern' is generally disfavored because it is most often a temporary illusion created by fading Hi, and is a characteristic leftover from the early days when koi were not as refined. It harks back to wild, unstable genetics.

There are some very rare kanoko that are not the result of fading Hi. I had one a few years ago which began life as an ordinary Showa. As he grew, scales within the shiroji gained a red crescent edge which gradually expanded to cover a fourth of the scale. This dappling was not uniform, but was unique. He went to a new home about 5 years ago and still has the dappling today.

That's interesting MikeM, do you have pictures of it to share before you got rid of it?

Kanoko which means "fawn" refers to the red dappled pattern found on some koi, such as "Kanoko Kohaku", "Kanoko Sanshoku" and Kanoko Showa". Incompletely or spotty dappled patterns are undesirable. Koi with red dapples forming clumps like bunches of grapes are called "Goten-zakura". The Hikari forms of Kanoko Kohaku and Goten-zakura are called "Sakura Ogon" and "Kin-zakura" respectively.

Some "Kanoko" pictures from the book.

As Dr. Kuroki says; "If its Hi is deep, it looks beautiful. In general, however, the pattern is rather weak, and so is not very highly praised."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know what kind of koi this is-img_1670.jpg   Does anyone know what kind of koi this is-img_1671.jpg   Does anyone know what kind of koi this is-img_1672.jpg  

Tosai
    Not sure I'm allowed to name names, but there is one for sale now on pg3 of www.kodamakoifarm.com At least it was for sale as of 2 PM Friday.

Feel free to delete this if it is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Not sure I'm allowed to name names, but there is one for sale now on pg3 of www.kodamakoifarm.com At least it was for sale as of 2 PM Friday.

Feel free to delete this if it is not allowed.
    Yep, and from a famous breeder.

It's an interesting koi, but I picture the fawn pattern to be more like Asagi. I am not too crazy about the "fawn" look now, if they all tend to kind of look like these actual image.

I am not too crazy about the "fawn" look now, if they all tend to kind of look like these actual image.
    I didn't say anything before... but I think they look like "junk" Koi.
    :-P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast