Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Does anyone know what kind of koi this is

  1. #1
    Nisai SoCalSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pomona, Southern California
    Posts
    142

    Does anyone know what kind of koi this is



    I think this koi is unique, it looks like Kohaku and Asagi mix. Does anyone know anybody selling one like this?

  2. #2
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post


    I think this koi is unique, it looks like Kohaku and Asagi mix. Does anyone know anybody selling one like this?
    I thought that Koi looked familiar...

    According to the picture's caption on page 43, Modern Nishikigoi Basic Varieties and Unique Koi by Dr. Takeo Kuroki, it is a "Kanoko Kohaku".



    According to the book (page 41) "Kanoko (Dapple-patterned) Kohaku whose Hi appears on each scale."

  3. #3
    Nisai SoCalSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pomona, Southern California
    Posts
    142
    ah yes Ricshaw, I see the description now from the website I pulled that image off of.

    koi photos kawarimono appreciation akakoi.com

    Kanoko which means "fawn" refers to the red dappled pattern found on some koi, such as "Kanoko Kohaku", "Kanoko Sanshoku" and Kanoko Showa". Incompletely or spotty dappled patterns are undesirable. Koi with red dapples forming clumps like bunches of grapes are called "Goten-zakura". The Hikari forms of Kanoko Kohaku and Goten-zakura are called "Sakura Ogon" and "Kin-zakura" respectively.



    DAPPLE PATTERN ARE UNDESIRABLE Well, I would have still bought it if I found one like that.

  4. #4
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    The 'dappled pattern' is generally disfavored because it is most often a temporary illusion created by fading Hi, and is a characteristic leftover from the early days when koi were not as refined. It harks back to wild, unstable genetics.

    There are some very rare kanoko that are not the result of fading Hi. I had one a few years ago which began life as an ordinary Showa. As he grew, scales within the shiroji gained a red crescent edge which gradually expanded to cover a fourth of the scale. This dappling was not uniform, but was unique. He went to a new home about 5 years ago and still has the dappling today.

  5. #5
    Nisai SoCalSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pomona, Southern California
    Posts
    142
    That's interesting MikeM, do you have pictures of it to share before you got rid of it?

  6. #6
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Kanoko which means "fawn" refers to the red dappled pattern found on some koi, such as "Kanoko Kohaku", "Kanoko Sanshoku" and Kanoko Showa". Incompletely or spotty dappled patterns are undesirable. Koi with red dapples forming clumps like bunches of grapes are called "Goten-zakura". The Hikari forms of Kanoko Kohaku and Goten-zakura are called "Sakura Ogon" and "Kin-zakura" respectively.

    Some "Kanoko" pictures from the book.

    As Dr. Kuroki says; "If its Hi is deep, it looks beautiful. In general, however, the pattern is rather weak, and so is not very highly praised."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know what kind of koi this is-img_1670.jpg   Does anyone know what kind of koi this is-img_1671.jpg   Does anyone know what kind of koi this is-img_1672.jpg  

  7. #7
    Tosai
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    40
    Not sure I'm allowed to name names, but there is one for sale now on pg3 of www.kodamakoifarm.com At least it was for sale as of 2 PM Friday.

    Feel free to delete this if it is not allowed.

  8. #8
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Not sure I'm allowed to name names, but there is one for sale now on pg3 of www.kodamakoifarm.com At least it was for sale as of 2 PM Friday.

    Feel free to delete this if it is not allowed.
    Yep, and from a famous breeder.


  9. #9
    Nisai SoCalSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Pomona, Southern California
    Posts
    142


    It's an interesting koi, but I picture the fawn pattern to be more like Asagi. I am not too crazy about the "fawn" look now, if they all tend to kind of look like these actual image.




  10. #10
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    I am not too crazy about the "fawn" look now, if they all tend to kind of look like these actual image.
    I didn't say anything before... but I think they look like "junk" Koi.
    :-P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. what kind of koi is this
    By 302Dz in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM
  2. I decided to be kind to my koi
    By zmeu in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 12:49 AM
  3. What kind of blue koi is this?
    By bwleung in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 10:05 AM
  4. What kind of koi is this?
    By KillerKOI in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 06:30 AM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com