Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tancho Showa

Tancho Showa

I have had this koi for 1 year now, please tell me what you think about the pros and con of my selection.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    I have had this koi for 1 year now, please tell me what you think about the pros and con of my selection.

Since I am a big fan of Kindai Showas... I like your Koi.

Meg
    how old and what size?
    I like what I see, and I can just picture her in a pond full of only shiro!

At our last koi show (last week) the benchers where told to adhere to the ZNA rules around tancho as we seem to have drifted away from it in the past.

According to ZNA rules, the hi of a tancho may not be on the scales of the koi. It must be limited to the scaleless head area. There may not be any other hi marking anywhere else on the koi either. Kuchi beni included, Tancho with a bit of kuchibeni must be classed Kohaku. Apparently BKKS rules allows tancho to go onto the first 2 row of scales when showing and you are allowed a maximum of two other additional hi spots somewhere else on the koi.

Just thought i would mention it as a tancho may or may not be tancho depending on where you show your koi, i cant really see from the photo but i have a feeling the tancho is going onto the scales and if that is the case then it would be benched showa at a ZNA show.

Meg
    Wayne, I think any of the hi onto the scales of thsi koi is cover with sumi.
    if so, would that count as hi on the scale??

Tancho

There are "show" Koi and just "good" Koi.

Yes, you are right about the "rules" concerning Tancho.

I for one, am not that concerned about the Hi on this Koi drifting into the scale area of the head.

It is my opinion (from looking at the pictures) that this is a show quality Koi and would be welcomed at most Koi shows and would not be an embarrassment for the owner.

I would be more concerned about the quality of the white, sumi, and Hi on show day.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneB View Post
    At our last koi show (last week) the benchers where told to adhere to the ZNA rules around tancho as we seem to have drifted away from it in the past.
    Are you saying that the benchers moved "tanchos" with Hi on the scales out of the Tancho class?

If yes, which show and who is the show chairman?

Hi Meg, i have no idea.

Hi Ric

Benchers place the koi into the show classes during benching as the owners offload them at the show, this is where it happened. It was a local SAKKS koi show. The show chairman has no say on this its up to the benching leader who is a ZNA Judge himself. We are a ZNA chapter so ZNA rules applies.

Theres was an article about the tancho classification in our local koi mag aswell written by Bernie Woollands.

According to the article the tancho classification works like this is the different "clubs".

AKCA - Hi accepted onto the first row of scales, no additional hi spots.
    BKKS - Hi accepted onto the 2nd row of scales, kuvhibeni also allowed and upto 2 additional hi spots.
    SAKKS - Tancho only allowed on head not on scales, no additional hi spots.
    ZNA - Tancho only allowed on head not on scales, no additional hi spots.
    ZNA-USA - Tancho only allowed on head not on scales, no additional hi spots.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneB View Post
    Hi Ric

Benchers place the koi into the show classes during benching as the owners offload them at the show, this is where it happened. It was a local SAKKS koi show. The show chairman has no say on this its up to the benching leader who is a ZNA Judge himself. We are a ZNA chapter so ZNA rules applies.

Theres was an article about the tancho classification in our local koi mag aswell written by Bernie Woollands.

According to the article the tancho classification works like this is the different "clubs".

AKCA - Hi accepted onto the first row of scales, no additional hi spots.
    BKKS - Hi accepted onto the 2nd row of scales, kuvhibeni also allowed and upto 2 additional hi spots.
    SAKKS - Tancho only allowed on head not on scales, no additional hi spots.
    ZNA - Tancho only allowed on head not on scales, no additional hi spots.
    ZNA-USA - Tancho only allowed on head not on scales, no additional hi spots.
    So the benchers put it in the Showa class?

I am a ZNA member and have worked dozens of shows and the benchers I have worked with will advise owners on which class is best, but if there is a question, they ask the show chairperson.
    Of course the head judge has the final say.
    I have worked with Japanese ZNA judges during showing, and although Hi on the scales is a default, it has been my experience that if the Tancho pictured above had been entered into the Tancho class (which usually has less competition) it would have been left in the Tancho class with the thinking that "it has a better chance in Tancho than Showa".

Of course I doubt that it would get "Best in Size" (but would not be surprised if it won first in it's size Tancho class).

SoCalSun: I wish the head was wider to better show off the maruten. I like the thickness of the beni very much. I am wondering about the sumi. It is unfinished, of course, but I am wondering if there are any areas where it is a lacquer black. I am seeing a smoky black that I recall a visiting judge from Japan calling "country sumi". If there is shiny lacquer black present, it may finish that way. If not, I think it will keep a smoky, unfinished appearance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast