Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doitsu Showa

Doitsu Showa

Please give your professional opinion (pros and cons) of this 8 inch Doitsu Showa.

I like the black pecs. The koi looks a bit short to me and the pattern is ok now but i think it is going to look to small when its bigger, other than that it looks nice.

It does need some help in the sumi department to "fill in the blanks" for my taste as the Kindai patterning is a bit too sparse at this stage for my taste. As to the Beni, I really don't understand Doitsu Beni development well enough to tell if this one will hold up. It looks a bit thin in places, but Doitsu aren't my specialty by any stretch

Is there something wrong with the head shape? Hard to tell much from the ripples on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneB View Post
    I like the black pecs. The koi looks a bit short to me and the pattern is ok now but i think it is going to look to small when its bigger, other than that it looks nice.
    I had bought it for about 2 months now and it was 5 inches, WayneB. It does look kind of short to me too, kind of like a midget, big head and little body. I guess I would have to see in the future, once all the Sumi comes up. I think it will look real nice and pretty balance. But anyways, I bought it for that particular color scheme. I'm hoping it will give my pond a little more elegant look (more white) to it. Majority of my showa's already have a lot of red and black. I just wanted to try something new.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    It does need some help in the sumi department to "fill in the blanks" for my taste as the Kindai patterning is a bit too sparse at this stage for my taste. As to the Beni, I really don't understand Doitsu Beni development well enough to tell if this one will hold up. It looks a bit thin in places, but Doitsu aren't my specialty by any stretch
    I don't know if it's going to hold up too, PapaBear. But during my examination of koi, I look for underline sumi placement. Now it's just lets see what happens next. Well, I can keep posting new picture down the line for you to see it's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma Koi View Post
    Is there something wrong with the head shape? Hard to tell much from the ripples on the water.
    Nope, looks like a pretty normal koi to me. No obvious deformities was seen when I netted the fish.

Body looks a little stubby to me, but I like that fish! It makes me smile for some reason. I'd be happy with it in my pond. Remember....this hobby is all about getting what YOU like and will enjoy.

What I think others see as stubby, is the typical doitsu body shape.

It looks pretty normal for an 8" fish. I love the pattern, especially if the Sumi pulls back in the pecs to form Motoguro.

It's a wait and see fish so enjoy it while you're waiting!

Don't know much myself but I like it! I like a lot of white too. It does seem like a 'happy' koi. It reminds me of a koi I got that was similar and every time I looked at it I thought PARTY! It put me in mind of party balloons.

I think it will brighten up your pond and add a fun element.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast