Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    How are you going to run a 'shower filter' with air-lifts?

Pictures or drawings please.
    I'm not. As I stated, the shower filter will be on a 1800 gph mag drive pump from the skimmer circuit. The rest of the pond will be on airlifts though.

I do need to do some research on a FF powered by airstones though. That would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    So what about using this instead of a shower filter?

A "shower filter" could be designed that collected (removed) foam.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    A "shower filter" could be designed that collected (removed) foam.
    that thought occured to me. I am just not sure how to implement it. The shower filter catch basin will not be located over the pond. This shower will use the same trays that many of us on KB have used. The bottom tray will have no holes....just a 3" pipe that gravity flows the water back to the pond. So maybe somehow I could direct the foam that may form in that tray to the pond?

that thought occured to me. I am just not sure how to implement it. The shower filter catch basin will not be located over the pond. This shower will use the same trays that many of us on KB have used. The bottom tray will have no holes....just a 3" pipe that gravity flows the water back to the pond. So maybe somehow I could direct the foam that may form in that tray to the pond?

it can be done. Birdman (steve) out in Oregon is installing a TEE just after the tray, with a four inch line. Water goes through that Tee with a foam scraper that scrapes the foam off the surface of the water.

you are only going to be flowing 1800 gph through this shower? or using an 1800 gph pump??

The original plan was to flow 1800 gph through the shower, although I may use a 1/15 wave pump instead. The electricity usage is nearly identical and I would get closer to 3000 gph.

The original plan was to flow 1800 gph through the shower, although I may use a 1/15 wave pump instead. The electricity usage is nearly identical and I would get closer to 3000 gph.
    boy, if you could do that 3,000 gph, you could have two outlets out of the unit, and really do something to remove the foam from your pond. From what I remember, you built something pretty good size pond wise, right?

If you could turn over the water at 3,000 gph, have two exits with 6" pipe, narrowing them down to 2" abruptly like my foam fractionator has, and put a ball valve on them to keep the water level at a certain level, I would venture to say you'd have a nice foam collecting unit. It'd take some tinkering, but would work.
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    boy, if you could do that 3,000 gph, you could have two outlets out of the unit, and really do something to remove the foam from your pond. From what I remember, you built something pretty good size pond wise, right?

If you could turn over the water at 3,000 gph, have two exits with 6" pipe, narrowing them down to 2" abruptly like my foam fractionator has, and put a ball valve on them to keep the water level at a certain level, I would venture to say you'd have a nice foam collecting unit. It'd take some tinkering, but would work.

rough sketch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH-tower.jpg  

Remember: To get foam... you have to have DOCs.

That will depend on is this a new pond or established pond? stocking levels? time of year, feeding amount/time, outside organics entering the pond, etc. etc.

this new pond isn't as big as I hoped for. I filled it for the first time this past weekend so I could find out the exact water level in the filters and it ended up being 4600 gallons. I had hoped for 5500, but I guess I put down the shovel a little too soon. It's 7' deep in the middle though. I just got tired of digging. It still has a long way to go in the "finishing touches" department, but I may have fish in it within the month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH-cimg7988-medium-.jpg  

this new pond isn't as big as I hoped for. I filled it for the first time this past weekend so I could find out the exact water level in the filters and it ended up being 4600 gallons. I had hoped for 5500, but I guess I put down the shovel a little too soon. It's 7' deep in the middle though. I just got tired of digging. It still has a long way to go in the "finishing touches" department, but I may have fish in it within the month.
    It is my opinion that foam fractionator filtration is not the priority filter right now.

But it does not hurt to plan ahead! :-)

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast