Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 164

Thread: 6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH

  1. #21
    Oyagoi CarolinaGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    How are you going to run a 'shower filter' with air-lifts?

    Pictures or drawings please.
    I'm not. As I stated, the shower filter will be on a 1800 gph mag drive pump from the skimmer circuit. The rest of the pond will be on airlifts though.

    I do need to do some research on a FF powered by airstones though. That would be great!

  2. #22
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    So what about using this instead of a shower filter?

    A "shower filter" could be designed that collected (removed) foam.

  3. #23
    Oyagoi CarolinaGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    A "shower filter" could be designed that collected (removed) foam.
    that thought occured to me. I am just not sure how to implement it. The shower filter catch basin will not be located over the pond. This shower will use the same trays that many of us on KB have used. The bottom tray will have no holes....just a 3" pipe that gravity flows the water back to the pond. So maybe somehow I could direct the foam that may form in that tray to the pond?

  4. #24
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    that thought occured to me. I am just not sure how to implement it. The shower filter catch basin will not be located over the pond. This shower will use the same trays that many of us on KB have used. The bottom tray will have no holes....just a 3" pipe that gravity flows the water back to the pond. So maybe somehow I could direct the foam that may form in that tray to the pond?

    it can be done. Birdman (steve) out in Oregon is installing a TEE just after the tray, with a four inch line. Water goes through that Tee with a foam scraper that scrapes the foam off the surface of the water.

    you are only going to be flowing 1800 gph through this shower? or using an 1800 gph pump??

  5. #25
    Oyagoi CarolinaGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,620
    The original plan was to flow 1800 gph through the shower, although I may use a 1/15 wave pump instead. The electricity usage is nearly identical and I would get closer to 3000 gph.

  6. #26
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    The original plan was to flow 1800 gph through the shower, although I may use a 1/15 wave pump instead. The electricity usage is nearly identical and I would get closer to 3000 gph.
    boy, if you could do that 3,000 gph, you could have two outlets out of the unit, and really do something to remove the foam from your pond. From what I remember, you built something pretty good size pond wise, right?

    If you could turn over the water at 3,000 gph, have two exits with 6" pipe, narrowing them down to 2" abruptly like my foam fractionator has, and put a ball valve on them to keep the water level at a certain level, I would venture to say you'd have a nice foam collecting unit. It'd take some tinkering, but would work.
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

  7. #27
    Oyagoi Ethan25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Central Illinois
    Posts
    1,894
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    boy, if you could do that 3,000 gph, you could have two outlets out of the unit, and really do something to remove the foam from your pond. From what I remember, you built something pretty good size pond wise, right?

    If you could turn over the water at 3,000 gph, have two exits with 6" pipe, narrowing them down to 2" abruptly like my foam fractionator has, and put a ball valve on them to keep the water level at a certain level, I would venture to say you'd have a nice foam collecting unit. It'd take some tinkering, but would work.

    rough sketch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH-tower.jpg  

  8. #28
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Remember: To get foam... you have to have DOCs.

    That will depend on is this a new pond or established pond? stocking levels? time of year, feeding amount/time, outside organics entering the pond, etc. etc.

  9. #29
    Oyagoi CarolinaGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,620
    this new pond isn't as big as I hoped for. I filled it for the first time this past weekend so I could find out the exact water level in the filters and it ended up being 4600 gallons. I had hoped for 5500, but I guess I put down the shovel a little too soon. It's 7' deep in the middle though. I just got tired of digging. It still has a long way to go in the "finishing touches" department, but I may have fish in it within the month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6" Phoam Phraxionator Plan - 1500-1800 GPH-cimg7988-medium-.jpg  

  10. #30
    Honmei ricshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    this new pond isn't as big as I hoped for. I filled it for the first time this past weekend so I could find out the exact water level in the filters and it ended up being 4600 gallons. I had hoped for 5500, but I guess I put down the shovel a little too soon. It's 7' deep in the middle though. I just got tired of digging. It still has a long way to go in the "finishing touches" department, but I may have fish in it within the month.
    It is my opinion that foam fractionator filtration is not the priority filter right now.

    But it does not hurt to plan ahead! :-)

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The VERY new and improved Phoam Phraxionator
    By Ethan25 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-27-, 03:33 PM
  2. **Free Phoam Phraxionator**
    By Ethan25 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 08:02 AM
  3. Video of my original Phoam Phraxionator
    By Ethan25 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM
  4. Phinally Phinished the Phoam Phraxionator
    By Ethan25 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 190
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 01:09 PM
  5. my phoam phraxionator
    By Ethan25 in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com