Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Ion Gen

Ion Gen

Anybody heard of this? I got the link in an email from my local ADI pond place. I don't know how it works but the probes were smaller after use so what happened to them and where did the material go? Only one place for it to go and the video didn't say what the probes are made from.

Aside from cliches like 'too good to be true' or 'not another AS product', or simply dissing (I think we've all had enough of that lately) or laughing, etc., it would be nice for posts to concentrate on facts and the reasons why this product is or isn't suitable for koi.

YouTube - IonGen Electronic Water Clarifier
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Electronic Clarifier for Ponds and Pondless® Waterfall Systems
    How does the IonGenTM Work?

The IonGen releasea a calculated mixture of copper, silver and zinc ions into the path of flowing water. The automatic control panel sends signals that slowly dissolve the replaceable metal probe. This unique combination of metal ions increases water quality, clarity and frastically reduces time consuming maintenance.

..Drastically reduces pond maintenance
    ..Crystal clear water without the use of chemicals
    ..Eliminates unsightly water conditions
    ..Simple to install
    ..Safe for fish and plants
    ..Non-toxic to animals that may drink from the pond
    ..Energy efficient (less than $1 per month in electricity cost)
    ..Treats ponds up to 25,000 gallons

A microprocessor inside the IonGenTM control panel causes the outermost atoms of copper, silver, and zinc to lose an electron, creating a positive ion. The positive ion attempts to flow from one of the Probe bars to the other and is swept away by the flow of water where the ion can begin to treat the water.

The IonGenTM is self cleaning, using reverse polarity to prevent scale and debris build-up on the Probe bars. The metal alloys in the Probe are scientifically blended and tested to produce maximum results.
    Source: From their website.

When the video talked about reducing the crap that clings to the rocks in one's 'water feature' I totally lost interest (no rocks in our koi pond).

Not sure how turning all those ions loose on one's pond works, but if you solve this mystery I've got another one for you:

Add coffee to a Thermos it stays hot; add ice water it stays cold.

How do it know?

Best wishes,

PS: Both copper and zinc are highly toxic to koi.
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

copper and copper/silver ionization systems are used in pool technology as purifyers and sanitizers. Ph balance of the water becomes very critical for good results.

WikiAnswers - What is copper ionization

Copper-silver ionization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MCA
    Geee, by all means lets intentionally introduce heavy metals to our koi ponds!!!! Great way to create some expensive plant food.

My first concern was the metal in the water too.

So is there any difference between metal molecules in the water and metal ions? Forgive me if that's a dumb question.

So if it keeps crud from sticking to rocks, does it keep crud from sticking to pipes, liner, etc.? I wonder what the definition of crud is.

Andy, that wiki definition said the ions destroy
    biofilms and slimes that can harbor Legionella!
    . So I wonder if it destroys the beneficial biofilm too? It doesn't make sense to me that this thing can differentiate between good and bad biofilm.

I don't put metal or wood in or over the pond.

Wasn't there some other copper thingy being used for algae in ponds?

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Geee, by all means lets intentionally introduce heavy metals to our koi ponds!!!!
    Hiya, Michael.

Why stop there?

To get really good sterilization, add a bunch of chlorine and ozone too.

That way them thar rocks will really sparkle!

Best wishes,

KoiCop, I actually read somewhere about using chlorine in a pond and the author said that as long as it was properly dosed it posed no hazard. YIKES! I'll pass on that one...and the metal thingies too...especially since I just added a garden hose filter to remove heavy metals.

Guess the gadget depends if your pond is all about the koi or all about the rocks. I wish they had more technical information.

It sounds like I might have my neighbor talked out of rocks. He has an AS pond and mine is the first koi pond he's seen and he likes it. Now he's talking about digging his deeper and removing the rocks and getting better filtration. A few more converts in my area and we might have enough to start a koi club!!!

Yeah. I want's me some Zinc and Copper in my Koi pond I'll poison me some algae (so's it don't cover up my purty rocks) and my water will be soooooooo clear I'd be willing to bet money that JNorth could explain low level Copper toxicity to Koi and I'm 100% certain that Art could provide a testimonial on the "health aspects" of Zinc...

MCA
    To get really good sterilization, add a bunch of chlorine and ozone too.

Don,

I just toss in a couple of heaping tablespoons of PP every week. That patented PP protocol brightens and whitens the entire pond...including media and fish.

You too can convert a nasty fish pond into a sparkling water feature!!!