Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do koi's jump out of the water?

Blog Entries

Why do koi's jump out of the water?

I'm only asking because two days ago my Shiro Utsuri was jumping around for a while as I gaze at the pond. I think she jump around 5 times within 15 minutes. No other koi in my pond jump around. So...

Parasites.
    OR
    Is your pond square or rectangular ?
    New fish, especially mud pond fish', go ape_chit when put into a tank with corners......ends.
    Round or freeform / "lagoon" wins every time.

There all sorts of reasons a koi might jump. Some bad, some not. Folks often point to water quality issues, parasites, etc. However, sometimes a carp just seems to want to jump and then doesn't jump again. Some individuals seem to be more prone to jumping on occasion than any others in the pond. Some seem never to jump. I've noticed that when I fast my koi in January, there is one that tends to jump. She is also an aggressive consumer of carpet algae, particularly when being fasted. I suspect some algae filaments get caught in the wrong place and she jumps to dislodge them. Who knows? If a fish is continually jumping you might want to examine her more closely. An episodic jump doesn't concern me.

In addition to what our #2 poster has offered, I find that when I bring my koi in from a larger outside pond in the fall, to a SMALLER inside pond i have to take steps to prevent a bail out. Also when new koi are purchased and put in a QT tank, and then moved to new surroundings, they opt more to jump.

So if i were to put a readers digest summation on what i think....Watch out when koi are moved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaureeguard View Post
    Parasites.
    OR
    Is your pond square or rectangular ?
    New fish, especially mud pond fish', go ape_chit when put into a tank with corners......ends.
    Round or freeform / "lagoon" wins every time.
    It could be parasite, I would have to check in the weekend though. My pond is 8' W X 20' L X 2.5' D and it is 20" Koi living in the same confinement for about a little over a year now. As for mud ponds without corner, my koi never had that luxury to be able to miss something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    There all sorts of reasons a koi might jump. Some bad, some not. Folks often point to water quality issues, parasites, etc. However, sometimes a carp just seems to want to jump and then doesn't jump again. Some individuals seem to be more prone to jumping on occasion than any others in the pond. Some seem never to jump. I've noticed that when I fast my koi in January, there is one that tends to jump. She is also an aggressive consumer of carpet algae, particularly when being fasted. I suspect some algae filaments get caught in the wrong place and she jumps to dislodge them. Who knows? If a fish is continually jumping you might want to examine her more closely. An episodic jump doesn't concern me.
    well, I haven't seen her jump since that day. So who knows, but I will check around her tomorrow for parasite. Thanks for your input and perhaps it's just probably nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    In addition to what our #2 poster has offered, I find that when I bring my koi in from a larger outside pond in the fall, to a SMALLER inside pond i have to take steps to prevent a bail out. Also when new koi are purchased and put in a QT tank, and then moved to new surroundings, they opt more to jump.

So if i were to put a readers digest summation on what i think....Watch out when koi are moved.
    Dick Benbow, I only have one pond. But when I do have to catch them, they are usually in a bow or container for a short while. Even when I do that, I always keep a watchful eye on them and I never leave them unattended. I usually just poor water up to the dorsal fin of the koi. When I'm done, I immediately return them to the main pond again.

Fry
    is your pound deep enough?
    please visit my blog please leave comment/s..,thank you..)
    KOI FISH

Sansai
    Obviously this fish is having some issues. Being as how it has no arms, hands or fingers to raise above the water and flip you the bird, all it can do is jump and fin you off.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbear View Post
    Obviously this fish is having some issues. Being as how it has no arms, hands or fingers to raise above the water and flip you the bird, all it can do is jump and fin you off.

??????????????

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    I'm only asking because two days ago my Shiro Utsuri was jumping around for a while as I gaze at the pond. I think she jump around 5 times within 15 minutes. No other koi in my pond jump around. So...
    I have a koi with swim bladder problems. That fish is either on the bottom or trying to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post

Dick, you've got that right! I just moved a trio of tosai from a 400 gal. portable show tank style QT into my main pond a couple of weeks ago -- and it became a veritable 'Fish Rodeo'. The QT was well netted during the months of quarantine, but as soon as we started gently herding them into sock nets and viewing tubs for a few pics, fish went flying 5 feet up and out of the tank everywhere. Much to my horror, one landed in a flower bed and (ouch!) another even did a 6 footer on to the pavement.

Remarkably, other than a lost scale or two, nobody seems to be the worse for wear. Lesson learned, the protocol for future relocations will involve a LOT of netting draped over all possible surfaces at all times. And none of these 'rocket fish' have been observed jumping in their new pond since the move..... tranquil as doves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast