Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Kentaro Sakai On Raising Koi For Show

Good Morning Brother Larry

You have addressed the main issues here . The primary concerns of many shallow ponders are predators and the harsh environmental surroundings or extreme changes in weather .

I hope ponders do take note , that all the shallower ponds recently constructed by Momotaro and Sakai FF , are all enclosed indoors ....
    Away from predators and harsh weather change .. or in most cases , the simulated artificial environment created in-doors , could allow them to continue monitoring and fine-tunning , or even feeding the fishes through the winters .

While long swimming surface area is emphasized here , the reduced water depth do help them reduce much energy running-cost , while keeping the desired water temperature through winter . Such are what we called " Keepers' Ponds " . Such ponds are never aesthetic , but they served their purpose .

The bigger and richer farms in Japan , had been able to go through such improvement and expansion , which explained why , Sakai FF , Momotaro , Narita and Dainichi had been doing so well the past few years in the Winning circuits . Dietary issues were hardly discussed among the breeders and their buyers , but I can assure you , the top breeders use some of the most expensive fish food you could ever imagine , even for their fishlings ...

These farms , have commercial demands , to produce the BEST .

David

eds
    Sansai
    I was persuaded (perhaps warned off might be a better way of putting it) not to make my pond any deeper then 2m. A few serious hobbiests over here have had swim bladder issues in deep ponds and lunking. So my new pond (when I finally start digging) will be 2m (6ft) deep at the deep end and 1.7m (5ft) at the shallow end.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSoon View Post
    Breeders do share knowledge amongst themselves , especially the younger generation breeders . It's costly to built new ponds , but certainly this is one of their answers to improvement . These shallower ponds are constructed in-house , away from predators and even some basic natural elements .

Believe they have lots of sharing to do , if only we are willing to listen ... . Both Momotaro and Sakai , including Narita believed and shared one common knowledge ....... HIGH OXYGENATION .

David
    In addition to that, Japanese hobbyists do share knowledge themselves and also with breeders & dealers.
    a way of thinking " shallow is better than deeper" is not invented in the past a few years but many years ago.

As a result, a large number of hobbyists rebuilt their old style deeper pond to shallow pond and great improvements were reported. nowadays, it become a common & mutual knowledge among them.

I have found this discussion thought provoking. For the benefit of the less experienced koikeepers, I would point out that we are not talking about ponds that are only 60cm or some such. A pond that is 1.5 meters deep (almost 5 feet) is considered shallow.

Nisai
    David

Out of interest what food do the top breeders use?

What do you use?

Regards

Kevin

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    David

Out of interest what food do the top breeders use?
    There is no simple answer to that question.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post
    Saki hikari and FD foods are popular, aren't they? I don't know now but SFF used to have their own bland.

Quote Originally Posted by markgardner View Post

Then give us the Complex Answer , We'd Love to hear it .

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Saki hikari and FD foods are popular, aren't they? I don't know now but SFF used to have their own bland.
    Junchi, what's your thoughts on this:

"There are the breeders who are the masters of breeding their koi and there are breeders who are masters at making that breeder's koi better by conditioning them."

Tony

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Junchi, what's your thoughts on this:

"There are the breeders who are the masters of breeding their koi and there are breeders who are masters at making that breeder's koi better by conditioning them."

Tony
    Tony, Are you talking about powerfully effective SFF color enrich food or a task of cleaning kiwa?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast