Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: how to clean bio filter without loosing good bacteria?

Tosai

how to clean bio filter without loosing good bacteria?

i have a lowes pressurized filter in a 800 gallon pond with 10 small koi

well the filter has worked great, but the flow to the waterfall has started to slow. how do i clean the filter mat wihout loosing all my bacteria?

the filter has bioballs,a fine media and a coarse media pad stacked on top off each other with a uv chamber.

picture of the filter here
    http://www.smart-pond.com/sites/defa...lPBF1200UV.pdf

You shut down the pump, pull the pads out, squeeze and wash the heck out of them with a garden hose, and put them back the way you found them. The bacterial colony lives primarily on the bioballs and if the pads become plugged off with detritus it all goes to hell in a handbag pretty quickly.

Something you need to bear in mind. I'm assuming your "Koi Pond" is a small Water Garden "Kit" type pond. 10 small Koi will quickly grow to the point of overloading that environment and you will start having health issues. What "Lowes" knows about Koi Ponds wouldn't fill a thimble and the Water Garden [email protected]'$ who peddle what they proclaim as "Koi Ponds" aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them to Kingdom come.

Read about "Koi Ponds" on this forum and you'll begin to understand their environmental needs better. It will make it possible for you to move forward with a Pond and Koi that can give you much enjoyment and few of the problems that a Water Garden presents.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    You shut down the pump, pull the pads out, squeeze and wash the heck out of them with a garden hose, and put them back the way you found them. The bacterial colony lives primarily on the bioballs and if the pads become plugged off with detritus it all goes to hell in a handbag pretty quickly.

Something you need to bear in mind. I'm assuming your "Koi Pond" is a small Water Garden "Kit" type pond. 10 small Koi will quickly grow to the point of overloading that environment and you will start having health issues. What "Lowes" knows about Koi Ponds wouldn't fill a thimble and the Water Garden [email protected]'$ who peddle what they proclaim as "Koi Ponds" aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them to Kingdom come.

Read about "Koi Ponds" on this forum and you'll begin to understand their environmental needs better. It will make it possible for you to move forward with a Pond and Koi that can give you much enjoyment and few of the problems that a Water Garden presents.

ok im glad its that easy i didnt know if the bacteria grew on the pads also..

yes I know they will grow large, but not faster than I can expand.

Im living in a family owned house renting it untill our house plans are finished we should be moving in the new house in about the year and i have the pond budgeted in with the mortage around 7k gallons ive stole allot of ideas off this forum this 800 gallon pond is just my learning experience with cheap koi.

You can take a bucket (or two or three) of water from the pond and wash the filters out in that. You could even squeeze them out and let them refill with pond water and squeeze them again and again. If you are adding more than about 10% new water to the pond use de-chlor. 10 koi is going to be pretty much the limit. Don’t overfeed your fish and over time go for pretty more than big. Go to a club meeting AKCA - Associated Koi Clubs of America - Welcome To The before you design your bigger pond.

Do a lot of reading before digging the first shovel of dirt.

In the proper environment, fry will grow to 12-15" the first year of life.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about your build when you're ready. It's better and cheaper to do it right the first time around.

I clean my filter pad with a garden hose then rinse it with water that has been dechlorinated just to be safe. I then do a quick rinse of the media by pouring a bucket of water over it. Just enough to get any solids out.

Tategoi
    I suggest you cull 1/2 of the koi. The remaining will be much healthier next summer.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    I suggest you cull 1/2 of the koi. The remaining will be much healthier next summer.
    yah i plan on culling a few, but i like it with allot right now because its helping them be calmer and learn to feed from my hand and other people.