Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever hear of "moneysaver" pumps?

Thanks for all the replies. I am not actually considering this pump, but someone I know is. He pointed me to the web site. My first impression of the web site is there is an awful lot of hype to it! That's a HUGE red flag for me. It's like they are trying to dazzle you so much that you won't notice the man behind the curtain. So I'll pass this info on to him and tell him to stick with the known brands, such as sequence or Lim (I like Lim the best).

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht View Post
    Rob,

How are you coming up with 750w for 1hp?
    My 65th edition of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics lists conversion factors on page F-307.

1 Horsepower (mechanical) = 745.7 Watts
    1 Horsepower (electric) = 746 Watts
    1 Horsepower (metric) = 735.499 Watts
    1 Horsepower (water) = 0.746043 Kilowatts

Personally, I consider horsepower ratings about as useful as model numbers or paint colors. It's all marketing. If you want to understand how well a motor works, measure the wattage it's drawing, and figure out how much work it's accomplishing.

-t

Thanks...that is very helpful. So if the Moneysaver pump was 100% efficient (which we know is isn't), 746 watts/220 volts = 3.39 amps all day long. I wonder how on earth they came up with the 2.6 amps? Just more hype I guess.

Webted,

I found that as well in my reference book.

And in the same reference book, is the picture below, which follows more along the lines of what's available to consumers and the pumps we use on our ponds.

You are absoulutly correct:
    "Personally, I consider horsepower ratings about as useful as model numbers or paint colors. It's all marketing"

But if we are to follow that 746 watts equals one horsepower, than a standard hairdryer would be in excess of 2hp.

Kind of like buying a 6hp air compressor at Home Depot (marketing)............. Most households won't support a "true" 2hp motor without dedicated service to that motor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever hear of "moneysaver" pumps?-scan_pic0010-2-.jpg  
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

I expect that the 2.6 amp figure is the current draw when the “adjustable” 1 hp pump is running at about 1/3 hp. Since you need to keep the voltage up, the speed controller is likely some type of chopper. With DC motors 1/3 of base speed is the recommended lower limit.

"AC" motor I meant to say.

The bottom line is if you need a 0 - 1 HP energy efficient pump; how many years will it take to justify the extra cost for the $1249.00 Money Saver 0 - 2.6 amp pump over buying a 0 - 1 HP WAVE or Sequence energy efficient pump?

If a Sequence 1000 series pump (is the size you need) is rated at 2.69 amps and costs $550.00, how many amps will you really be saving with the $1249.00 Money Saver pump and how many years will it take for you to recover the extra $700. spent?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Thanks...that is very helpful. So if the Moneysaver pump was 100% efficient (which we know is isn't), 746 watts/220 volts = 3.39 amps all day long. I wonder how on earth they came up with the 2.6 amps? Just more hype I guess.

Cindy,

Throw the 746w out the window, any standard frame motor used to pump water in our ponds will never fall under that "mathematical equation".

Electric motors I deal with quite regularly, follow very much in line with the chart I posted above.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    The bottom line is if you need a 0 - 1 HP energy efficient pump; how many years will it take to justify the extra cost for the $1249.00 Money Saver 0 - 2.6 amp pump over buying a 0 - 1 HP WAVE or Sequence energy efficient pump?

If a Sequence 1000 series pump (is the size you need) is rated at 2.69 amps and costs $550.00, how many amps will you really be saving with the $1249.00 Money Saver pump and how many years will it take for you to recover the extra $700. spent?

Yup! If the company had any merit on their product, they'd have flow charts showing GPH/Head vs watts consumed right against their competitor's stats.

I'd almost be willing to bet if you put their pump up against, a Lim, Sequence, Perf. Pro, etc. They wouldn't hold a candle to the "standard" pond pumps we all know.

So that pump is really drawing 2.6 amps, it's probably running at 1/4 hp or less. You can buy a nice 1/4 hp Lim pump for around $500 I think. Looks like the "moneysaver" isn't such a money saver at all.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast