Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever hear of "moneysaver" pumps?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    So that pump is really drawing 2.6 amps, it's probably running at 1/4 hp or less. You can buy a nice 1/4 hp Lim pump for around $500 I think. Looks like the "moneysaver" isn't such a money saver at all.
    or less

Doesn't add up

Lim or any others don't have a speed control that will fail some day. Bad enough we all look out first thing in the morning to makes sure the water is flowing. Then add in a speed controller, and there's one more thing that can fail on our "system".

So that pump is really drawing 2.6 amps, it's probably running at 1/4 hp or less. You can buy a nice 1/4 hp Lim pump for around $500 I think. Looks like the "moneysaver" isn't such a money saver at all.
    ???

What I am saying is if the size pump you need is a Sequence 1000 pump that will pump 4200 GPH @ 8 ft. and uses 2.69 amps; how many amps will the Money Saver pump be pulling at 4200 GPH @ 8 ft.?

It is my understanding that the Money Saver pumps are variable amp controlled motors.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    how many amps will the Money Saver pump be pulling at 4200 GPH @ 8 ft.?
    Unless you can either get a spec chart from them or a motor in hand to test, no one will ever know.

If they were that good, they'd feely post their specs for all to see.

Suggest that your friend check out the 'new' Seguence ValuFlo 1000 Series pumps. They might find a size pump that fits their needs.

And purchase it from a supporter of Koi Bito! :-)

Jumbo

Did anyone look at that being 3 phase motor ?

Although the claim seems wacky for single phased motor, it is not that far fetch for 3 phased motor. Also, 3 phased motor usually has better efficiency.
    If someone who have one of these installed can chip in, that will be great.

stan

The motors are 3 phase? I didn't notice that. but that does present another problem in that most households don't have 3-phase current. You'd have to buy a phase converter, another few hundred $$ on top of the cost of the pump.

zek
    Sansai
    The motors are 3 phase? I didn't notice that. but that does present another problem in that most households don't have 3-phase current. You'd have to buy a phase converter, another few hundred $$ on top of the cost of the pump.

No, the phase converter must be in the controller.

They are ok pumps, but I wouldn't buy another one. Worse characteristic is they turn off with a power blip and must be turned back on manually. It's a real nice feature when you leave for a long weekend, have a summer afternoon thunderstorm and return to a stagnant swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by saratogatan View Post
    Although the claim seems wacky for single phased motor, it is not that far fetch for 3 phased motor. Also, 3 phased motor usually has better efficiency.
    If someone who have one of these installed can chip in, that will be great.

stan

Didn't even think of that Stan..........
    And you are correct!
    I went back through and found a snippet: " Remember the solid-state electronic controller takes the single phase 115 volt house current, and converts it into 3-phase 230 volts, which is what our super efficient pump uses."

Now this is really getting stupid. Not only do you have a speed control to worry about failing now you have a phase converter to worry about as well!

Also, with a static phase converter you loose motor power. It's been a while since I messed with the phase converters but I wanna say you loose 25-35% of your rated HP of the motor? So for them to claim their motor is 1hp, they need to use a 1 1/4-1 1/3hp motor.......

Maybe they do have some trick up their sleeve

Zek, what else can you tells us about it?
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

zek
    Sansai

Cool

Honestly, I don't know much about the pump other than the BS on the website. It came with absolutely zero literature. It has a good Baldor motor. I get better flow @ ~2.2-2.4 amps than a 1/4 hp Sequence @ around 3 amps, but it's not better enough to cover the $ difference although they were less expensive 5 years ago. I've been using the Sequence this summer because of the manual restart issue, but I will use it again over the winter dialed down to keep a low flow through the winter.

I would not recommend it to anyone but Bob

I've only known of static or rotary phase converters.

Well I went over to a Machinist forum that I read once in a blue moon. I saw a post on VFD phase converters. Looked it up and what this pump company is using is a speed control unit that is a phase converter as well. A VFD converter can have close to 100% efficiency.

So now that we know that they are using 3 phase motors, I guess their claim may hold ground.

I still don't like the fact you have something else in-line that can fail, and Zeks problem as well........

I'll stick with my 2 small pumps on 2 separate circuit breakers, and separate GFI's just in case something fails instead of all my eggs in one basket with one large pump.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast