Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever hear of "moneysaver" pumps?

Anyone ever hear of "moneysaver" pumps?

I have spent some time looking over their web site and they seem to good to be true. Logically, I feel like they can't be as good as they claim and the web site is so full of hype that it makes me doubt the claims even more. But is what they are saying true? Can someone who knows more about pumps look over the data and tell me? They make some direct comparisons to Wave pump and claim to be even better than those, which I find really hard to believe. Energy Efficient Pumps

Where is ricshaw when we need him? When I was selecting a small (1800 gph) pump to replace the junk I originaly installed on pond one, he presented me with a bunch of information. Hopefully he will come along and make comparisons for us.

Cindy,

To me it looks like they are making a twisted marketing hype on how they are presenting their product.

I didn't see (maybe I missed the tab), any chart showing flow rates.

Take the 1hp pump. If they showed a flow rate with GPH vs. watts used across the variable speed. It'd be very simple to compare with standard pond pumps we are familiar with.

I am very sceptical of their claims. Furthermore, why would anybody buy a Peterbuilt truck and trailer to drive a mile to the corner grocery store, when a moped may be all you need............... If you know what I mean

It will always take "X" amount of energy to move "X" amount of GPH'S.

I don't see where spending 4-5x what a normal pond pump costs is going to pay you back that greatly in your energy bill.

I also didn't care for their reasons for not using Baldor motors.

Yet if you click on the 3HP tab they show a Baldor motor with a "W LIM Dragon" housing on the front of the motor?????????

I'd pass, and stick with our tried and true pumps that we know, unless you have a need for a 1hp pump, then I might inquire about a flow chart to compare.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Pond Size............... Size Pump......Input Voltage
    0 - 5,000 gallons .....0 - 1 HP........115 or 230 VAC
    over 5,000 gallons.... 0 - 3 HP........230 VAC

This chart also gets me So for a pond over 5000gal, I need to run 220/240VAC to the pond just to power my motor And I need up to a 3hp motor???????????? I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht View Post
    Pond Size............... Size Pump......Input Voltage
    0 - 5,000 gallons .....0 - 1 HP........115 or 230 VAC
    over 5,000 gallons.... 0 - 3 HP........230 VAC

This chart also gets me So for a pond over 5000gal, I need to run 220/240VAC to the pond just to power my motor And I need up to a 3hp motor???????????? I don't think so!
    ROTFLMAO
    Could you please figure out how many times you would turn over your 5000 pond with a 3hp motor per hour?

Thanks in advance Chris for your math skills.

Hugs to you and Fran & Lil guy

Here's another funny one on their twisted marketing.

For a electric motor to produce a "true" 1hp it takes right in the area of 15 amps. Their 1hp motor claims, 2.6 amps

Nancy,

You'd probably have a whirlpool, and not a koi pond with a 3hp motor on a 5K pond. Can you picture your filtration media looking like it is trying to launch itself into orbit. "Old Faithfull" comes to mind.

BUT, you can dial back that 3hp motor to 1/3hp to be just right for your 5K pond, good thing I spent the extra money to have that Peterbuilt

1 hp = 750 watts. And no matter what the voltage it still needs the wattage:
    Watts = amps x volts, so : Amps = watts / volts
    750 watts / 125 volts = 6.0 amps
    750 watt / 250 volts = 3.0 amps
    So 2.6 amps for 1 hp is a bit optimistic even for a pump that is 100% efficient (50% is more realistic so these numbers would be double).

Honmei
    My Gawd, talk about making pump sizing difficult!

How To Choose

The friction loss calculator in the KOI USA archive will do the piping calcs and then plugging in the pump erformance curves for avrious pumps will yield the proper pump comparisons for sizing based on a desired turnover/flow rate.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Rob,

How are you coming up with 750w for 1hp?

To produce a "true" 1hp, about the lowest amperage draw you will see is about 12(approx 1350w), which is also dependent on line voltage and efficiency.

I have 1hp Baldor motors on machinery in my shop that are a little over 15A or approx 1700w.

Let me know where I can get my hands on "true" 1hp motors that only draw 6A, and I'll, buy them by the pallet!

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    Where is ricshaw when we need him? When I was selecting a small (1800 gph) pump to replace the junk I originaly installed on pond one, he presented me with a bunch of information. Hopefully he will come along and make comparisons for us.
    Short answer; Do you believe some website's hype and think that the owners of the more popular Sequence and WAVE energy efficient pumps for Koi ponds are idiots?

On the other hand, it does not hurt to ask; "Anyone ever hear of 'moneysaver' pumps?"

BTW: I recently bought a Rio Hyperflow 26HF (power head) pump to power a Ethan style foam fractionator.
    The Rio model 26HF is rated at 1590 gph at 1 foot head, uses 100 watts (less than 1 amp.), and cost me $79.99 USD on eBay.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast