Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Newbie" questions

Tosai

"Newbie" questions

Hello hello, my names Kevin

I"m relatively new to the hobby and I got a few questions for the Koi-mastas out there. There are lots of storms tonight, with storms and a chance of thunderstorms throughout the entire day tommorow. Should I be concerned? What precautions should I take? Should I add baking soda before the storms hit?

One more question: what "meat" could you add to a paste food? I only have shrimp, white tuna, and sardines with me in my pantry. Which of these would be the best, if good at all?

Thanks!

Before adding any baking soda to your pond, check for a couple of things. Check ammonia levels (since ammonia is much more toxic at a higher pH)
    Check pH
    Check kH. kH is the measure of alkalinity, which is what stabilized the pH. If ammonia is good and kH is low, then you may need some baking soda to stabilize things before the storm. But report back here with your test readings first.

Shrimp is great in paste food.

Tosai
    Okay so I do think I need to add some. I have a reading of about 40-80 KH and 7.0 PH. How much baking soda should I add if my pond is about 1000-1200 gallons?

Adding 1/3 cup per 1000 gallons will raise the kH by 25 points. What is your ammonia reading? Check that before adding baking soda.

Be very careful adding baking soda, I believe the method used in our club is add a teaspoon then test. You don't want to make your waterchanges so dramatic that you might stress the fish.

You also asked about what sort of "meat" you can add to your homemade food. When I make food I stay away from land based animal protien. that is chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc. In the wild Koi/Carp would eat earth worms and crusteacians like shrimp and crawfish or crawdads. I have used talapia, catfish, dover soul, just about any fish from the seafood counter that is cheap.
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

a teaspoon then test? I'd be there all day!! That's probably good for fish tanks, but not ponds. I would add half of whats needed now and the other half tomorrow. That wonn't hurt them. But test ammonia first and use a binder if any ammonia is present.

That is what our club koi health man told one of our members who had done a baking soad treatment just before one of our meetings. You should have heard the wheels squeal when that guy left to get home so he could check on his fish.

you know there are 48 teaspoons in one cup, right? I don't know who he was, but no one adds BS one teaspoon at a time. First of all, you'd burn through test kits like crazy! I add BS a box or so at a time. It was pouring down rain one day a while ago so I just pulled the lids off of 3 boxes and tossed them into the pond from the porch. Raising the pH is not nearly as hard on the fish as the pH dropping. It's certainly a good idea to raise it slow if you have the luxury of time, but if you are anticipating a pH crash because of an impending rain storm, then adding it all at once is not going to be harmful. I have done it many many times myself. Unless, of course, there is any ammonia present. Then raising the pH can be very harmful,

1 teaspoon will do absolutely nothing in a pond. I put more than that in my 75 gallon aquarium when doing water changes because my pH is 5.5 with 0 hardness and alkalinity out of the tap.

I would add it over a 2-3 day period like Cindy said but BS won't raise the pH above 8.2.

Just be sure to post your ammonia reading first.

Tosai
    Fortunately, no ammonia!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast