Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grading culling

Nisai
    well apparently i have A grade israeli koi but some of them have changed pattern as i bought them at 3 inches

From the sounds of things you have acquired a decent cart, a team of mixed horses, but no harnesses or experience with driving a team. That can make for a very difficult wagon train...

Why don't you give Maurice Cox a ring? He isn't in Ireland, but he's close enough for you to spend some quality time with if he's willing. As an established breeder with a number of years under his belt he has already gone through the learning curve you are beginning and it would be time well spent.

If you are planning to start breeding with Israeli stock raised from fingerlings you are already setting the bar low. It takes a lot of time and effort to do all of this and to make it worth your while solid parent stock makes a huge difference in your chances of success.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by tree.10 View Post
    well apparently i have A grade israeli koi but some of them have changed pattern as i bought them at 3 inches
    Not my definition of "high quality breeding stock".

Are you interested in posting some pictures of your Koi?

Nisai
    yes i have them on another topic called sexing koi

yes i have them on another topic called sexing koi
    You are talking about this one Koi?

You have one picture of a 14" long 4 year old Kohaku (which I've already told you is horribly stunted) on that thread. That gives us virtually nothing to go by, but if it is representative of the quality you have in mind you need to start over again. You describe your Koi as "Grade A Israeli Koi", which would be roughly equivalent to Water Garden castoffs that Japanese breeders get rid of early before they waste any more pond space and feed on them. There are REAL Koi dealers not all that far from you. I've already suggested that you make the short drive across the border to England to look a few of them up. Maybe you could contact the BKKS to get some guidance on which ones might be close to you. You might even go to a British Koi Show so you can see for yourself what good Koi actually look like. Here is their website.
    The British Koi Keepers Society (BKKS) - For everything Koi since 1970

Nisai
    yes i know they are not show koi.there is not much of a koi culture in ireland and it is very hard for you to get your hands on good koi as there is not much sale for them.but there is no point me breeding top quality show koi first time out as i will probably end up damaging them and a bad koi can still produce some fish of a saleable quality.england is not an option for me as i have college and then work on the weekends.the koi are stunted because they only really grow three months of the year in my country and when i bought them they were already a year old even though i have managed to grow some fish up to seven inches from march to october but they only seem to have a bust of growth the first year and slow down to two-three inches a year in response to ricshaws question there is another repost of that topic showing more the fish.when they sell grade a koi in my country they usually arent show koi but more of a just purebreed sort of thing going on

<snip> in response to ricshaws question there is another repost of that topic showing more the fish

Can you help an older person find it?

Nisai
    heres the link sexing koi
    the first fish is not a grade but the rest were bought as a grade fish

First off, there is no such thing as "A" grade koi. That's a rating that the dealer made up to sell koi. Not a single fish in the thread you linked to is a good quality koi. They are all pond grade. Seriously....raising a hatch of fry is very expensive and time consuming. And it costs the same amount of money to raise good ones as it does poor ones. You should seriously think about getting rid of them all and starting over with some better grade of koi if you intend to make any money breeding koi. I don't mean to be insulting, just honest. And I have to wonder too, if your climate is so poor that you can't grow fish more than 14" in 4 years, maybe it's not really a good climate to even think about breeding koi and raising fry from them?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast