Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: grading culling

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    And I have to wonder too, if your climate is so poor that you can't grow fish more than 14" in 4 years, maybe it's not really a good climate to even think about breeding koi and raising fry from them?
    It has been my experience that that Koi grow from 2" - 6" inches a year in backyard ponds. Genetics, the size of the pond, feed, water temperature, and how crowded the pond is, ALL will have a affect on growth rates.

Nisai
    as i said the koi have a good growth rate for the first two years you might get them to 7-11 inches and the people i will be selling the koi to wont be koi fanatics they will only want the fish for ornamental purposes

Oyagoi
    i see people here in US that sell A grade but usually that comes after AA and AAA grade
    so what i see some people sell from top to bottom are

show quality
    AAA
    AA
    A
    pond grade or decorative grade

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    i see people here in US that sell A grade but usually that comes after AA and AAA grade

show quality
    AAA
    AA
    A
    What! No Grade "B" and "C" Koi?

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    What! No Grade "B" and "C" Koi?
    well yes and no

B= bait

C=cat

Since you have already decided that what you have is good enough I'm a bit perplexed as to why you've bothered asking questions. You don't know their sex, you don't' understand quality or culling techniques, but you have rejected every piece of advice you've been given out of hand.

I think what you fail to understand is that we're not trying to tell you how to breed "Show Quality" Koi. That takes many years of experience and exceptionally high quality parent stock that is developed over those many years. The basic advice we're giving is merely adequate for you to achieve your stated goal of "merchantable pond grade" Koi. If you had asked us how to breed "Champion Koi" you would have been laughed out of the room right up front.

If you don't have the time and resources to spend a few days looking at better quality Koi a few hours drive from home, I really don't see how you'll have the time to breed what you already have either. It is a process that takes time and attention with the Koi being in charge of the schedule, not just your spare time on the weekends.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Meg
    perhaps this thread about a members 4 year exercise on back yard breeding from another forum will help
    Backyard Breeder Project - KoiShack

Nisai
    yes i see that it takes time to get the bloodlines but i am not talking about blood lines which are very old.i just want some offspring which resemble the parents.
    i have college but i wont have college during the breeding season so ill have plenty of time for spawning growing them on. england is more than a few hours ferry over driving to whoever and staying the night it could take a 2 days

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post

show quality
    AAA
    AA
    A
    True, they do offer those grades here, but there are no standards by which those grades are assigned. It's just an arbitrary grade assigned by the guy who's trying to sell them. Grade A or AAA means nothing. Pond grade and bait grade are easy to pick out. The rest take an experienced eye. And not the seller's eye....they buyer's eye.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    True, they do offer those grades here, but there are no standards by which those grades are assigned. It's just an arbitrary grade assigned by the guy who's trying to sell them. Grade A or AAA means nothing. Pond grade and bait grade are easy to pick out. The rest take an experienced eye. And not the seller's eye....they buyer's eye.
    are you telling me show quality on ebay means nothing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast