Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: grading culling

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    are you telling me show quality on ebay means nothing

yes, but "rare" is priceless

Quote Originally Posted by pskorf View Post
    are you telling me show quality on ebay means nothing

So sorry to break it to you like this, but yeah.....it means nothing. Now if you ever see those listed as "rare new variety" like the Delorean or Phantom that I saw a few years ago, better snap them up. And lets not forget the Blue one that someone paid $275 for just a couple of days ago!! RARE!!!

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by tree.10 View Post
    yes i see that it takes time to get the bloodlines but i am not talking about blood lines which are very old.i just want some offspring which resemble the parents.
    i have college but i wont have college during the breeding season so ill have plenty of time for spawning growing them on. england is more than a few hours ferry over driving to whoever and staying the night it could take a 2 days
    if you read through the thread you will get an idea of what she paired and the results she got. She just wanted offspring that resembled the parents. same as your goals.

now, I know you want a simple answer of "breed these two koi and you will get X", but it isn't simple. the simplest thing to do and the place to start is as FishBreeder(who IS a fish breeder) told, you start with Yamabuki to learn on. But you want multi color, that is also why I posted the thread, she was pairing sanke and kohaku and has many pictures of the results that you could look through and see if they were of the "grade" you are trying to achieve. however all you read was that I posted it was a 4 year study.

all these people are giving you honest answers, sorry they are not what you want to hear. Go read the thread, you will enjoy it.

If you breed one kohaku to another kohaku, you will get a lot of solid orange fish, a lot of solid white fish, a lot of fish that are dark and ugly and some fish that have nice kohaku patterns. The goal is to get more that have nice kohaku patterns and less of the other colors. This can only be done by trying out different pairs and see what works, which can take years of experimentation and a lot of money and time. The most reliable cross that will produce the maximum possible sellable fish is what Fishbreeder suggested..... Yamabuki to Yamabuki. And even then, they won't all be sellable. How much space to you have available to you to raise fry?

Nisai
    i have a 82000 gallon pond (mud) a separate tunnel pond of 16000 gallons two 1500 gallon aquaculture tanks and 1 or 2 350 gallon water troughs and a 130 gallon aquarium for spawning.i need nice looking fish like the ones pictured they are considered a grade in my country and sell for 125 euros at 8-10 inches even though some colours faded

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234