Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Koi Nations/KP/KOI USA

Daihonmei
    you don't need to go back that far!

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    on a lighter note, can you name the private koi magazines that have gone out of print starting with the latest and going backwards ?

8) Koi Nations
    7) ?
    6) ?
    5) ?
    4) ?
    3) ?
    2) ?
    1) Bet NO ONE gets this one!

Well I remember a post by you sir and I believe you had tombstones for the following:

Koi Keepers- a collaberation of kichi from England and Holland. A very good publication- beautiful to look at and read.

Koi Times- a former publication by the BKKS

BKKS magazine- still one of my favorites

Rinko- the best that ever was. The Gold standard for many years

Koi Health quarterly- no one ever came close to this kind of information on koi health and diseases

The New Ripples- the Norther Koi clubs magazine- a great little magazine

Koi International- only two issues- showed some potential for the time period.

And then to many a broken hearts: Koi Bito
    Last edited by Campcheryl; 10-03-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot a magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Campcheryl View Post
    Well I remember a post by you sir and I believe you had tombstones for the following:

Koi Keepers- a collaberation of kichi from England and Holland. A very good publication- beautiful to look at and read.

Koi Times- a former publication by the BKKS

BKKS magazine- still one of my favorites

Rinko- the best that ever was. The Gold standard for many years

Koi Health quarterly- no one ever came close to this kind of information on koi health and diseases

The New Ripples- the Norther Koi clubs magazine- a great little magazine

Koi International- only two issues- showed some potential for the time period.

Cheryl CHEATED!!!!!! she keeps better records than me.... At least I got some of them right... with my ole 70's brain...

If my brain is adding correctly their should 9 not 8...

Daihonmei
    forgot one! Koi Health Quarterly , a really excellent publication but ahead of it's time. It went out of publication in the early 1990s as circulation never got to a critical mass and advertisers weren't biting due to the many publications in the UK at the time.

But that was not the FIRST private for profit koi mag that died an early death- there was another. I'll give you a hint, there were only two issues!

How about listing them in terms of longevity!

Daihonmei
    Nope, not the BKKS publications on this list as they were ( The BKKS magazine and KOI TIMES) non-profit publications associated with an organized koi culture I.E. the British Koi Keepers Society.
    New Ripples was also a non profit mag published by a local section/club The Northern KOI section.

Daihonmei
    Cheryl, our posts crossed!

Ok, Cheryl got the first one to go right-- it was KOI INTERNATIONAL. The publication is very rare as ALL the issues were destroyed as local club members, on their own, got involved with a VERY wealthy businessman who put up the money while he was still koi kichi and threated to sue the editors and writers if it was distributed without his permission. He had the folks so rattled with threats of law suits that they would not sell or distribute even the back issues. KOI INTERNATIONAL covered mostly pond visits and was the first to visit the Play Boy mansion when they actually had KOI!

Daihonmei
    After KOI INTERNATIONAL the koi hobby started growing in leaps and bounds and soon magazines went from Black and white with two staples holding the pages together TO color and then perfect bound additions and finally glossy color pictures! In that golden age of koi, many small business men tried a hand at competing with the society publications.
    The UK was probably the most fertile region for koi publications with old time cross over magazines like PRACTICAL FISH KEEPERS magazine dedicating a portion of it's publication specifically to Koi. Koi, Ponds and water gardens, and KOI CARP took over the lower end and KOI HEALTH QUARTERLY along with NISHIKIGOI INTERNATIONAL began to take the lime light away from the KOI BIBLE- I.E. RINKO . RINKO was doomed once it broke away from the ZNA and NICHRIN was born from the split.

In the Modern versions of the past came KOI BITO, the NEWER NI and KOI KEEPERS- all three were a cut above the rest and probably only appealed to the very serious koi fancier. Great runs and they will be missed. And then more recently KOI NATIONS appeared on the scene as a hybrid of a koi specialty magazine but also sensitive to ponding in general terms.
    I'm sure there is a 15 year old out there somewhere who will one day try a go at a for-profit koi specific magazine. I wonder how it will go?

Honmei

Ms Saluan, as stated previously, KOI USA has not had any imaginary influx of financial support.

Brutus, KOI USA does not have a bookstore. I think you are referring to the AKCA bookstore. There were in fact some billing issues to advertisers due in part to lack of insertion orders being signed in the past. That has been changed in part with the change in advertising managers and that was two years ago.

It seems that somehow, some on KP are attempting to equate the financial whoes of their official magazine onto KOI USA? Granted these are not the best of times, but certainly no need for these people to insinuate untruths through false facts and innuendos.

Steve Childers
    Editor
    KOI USA
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

I have an idea...

Let's be as encouraging as we can to both magazines and their editors as they both provide the thing we want: additional high quality information and pictures
    Of the hobby we love....

And if we have a way to help, let's help.

I personally would like to see both continue....

Daihonmei
    I've not followed this story too closely Ethan, how many issues has KOI NATIONS missed at this point? One or two? JR

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast