Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Koi Nations/KP/KOI USA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post

Ms Saluan, as stated previously, KOI USA has not had any imaginary influx of financial support.

Brutus, KOI USA does not have a bookstore. I think you are referring to the AKCA bookstore. There were in fact some billing issues to advertisers due in part to lack of insertion orders being signed in the past. That has been changed in part with the change in advertising managers and that was two years ago.
    I stand corrected. The bookstore was the AKCA bookstore in koiusa magazine. My mistake.

It seems that somehow, some on KP are attempting to equate the financial whoes of their official magazine onto KOI USA? Granted these are not the best of times, but certainly no need for these people to insinuate untruths through false facts and innuendos.

Steve Childers
    Editor
    KOI USA
    I hope you realize I was not doing this. I have a subscription to KOIUSA...and was buying it off the shelf for years before that. I certainly do not want to see it go anywhere. A very good publication!!!

Once upon a time I was the Marketing Manager for a niche publisher, with a stable of 30 titles. Some were bread and butter and some were break evens designed to filter the reader & advertiser into the profitable magazines. It's dang hard work. Even the best fail. Before leaving, I was involved in a new publication with a 3 million dollar budget. It ran for nearly 3 years before death due to financial cancer. BUT, it was a statistical success, in that the average lifespan of a new magazine in my country is approximately 2.5 years.

Any idea what the average lifespan of a koi magazine might be?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    It's very hard to keep a private for-profit magazine going specifically about koi ( or koi and water gardening in the case of Koi Nations). In my time I've seen seven private koi magazines come and go and Koi Nations will now make that count eight.
    The only two magazines that keep on ticking are publications associated with the organized koi culture- KOI USA and Nichrin. The only possible exception would be Koi Carp. But that is a unique situation as it is part of a large publishing group. JR
    Hi Jim,

We've two commercial publications over here. Koi Carp and Koi. Koi were formerly Koi Ponds and Gardens.
    It's Koi that are part of a large publishing group. Koi Carp is a smaller affair, say half a dozen titles.

There was also a mag that was going to be titled Koi Digest. It was advertised in the BKKS mags etc, subscriptions were taken (mine included) but nothing was every produced. For a timeline we are probably looking at 1990ish.

rgds Bern

Daihonmei
    Great trivia factoid Bern! I missed that one. Yep I knew that KOI, Ponds and Water Gardens rose in a second reincarnation as KOI. But I didn't know it was still published! I had an impossible time getting missing issues and decided not to renew. The feeling being that if they were missing issues and had no back issues then sending them more money would be throwing good money after bad.
    I asked Ethan how many issues were missed with KOI NATIONS because that is what will happen to the subscription base- you can't ask folks who's renewal is due to send MORE money after they find they are behind two or three issues from the original subscription. As advertisers see the subscription rate fall they pull the ads or go to an issue to issue ad as they also don't want to caught in that game of music chairs when the music stops on a multiple commitment ad. It's a self fulfilling prophacy in the end.
    Have a good one, Bern. JR

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post

Well Ms Saluan, I previously stated the truth and now you come up with unfounded and wild accusations towards KOI USA receiving capital infusion from other unnamed sources? Frankly that is pure hog wash. KOI USA maintains cash reserves for tough economic times and has not had any infusion of capital from any “unnamed sources.” Frankly, your post and that of Brad’s on KP seemed design to raise controversy towards KOI USA where none exists.

Steve Childers
    Editor
    KOI USA

Steve , What I found Interesting is that her husband posted right before her saying something along the lines of he didn't have any Idea what was going on . While right after his post she had all the Facts .

My favorite part is the "Barely Afloat" . As I said In my other Post , some feel "If everyone is doing bad we'll feel better" .

I'm sorry to hear KoiNations is having Issues , But to Try and pull KoiUSA into the same boat is poor taste .

Jumbo
    Great trivia factoid Bern! I missed that one. Yep I knew that KOI, Ponds and Water Gardens rose in a second reincarnation as KOI. But I didn't know it was still published! I had an impossible time getting missing issues and decided not to renew. The feeling being that if they were missing issues and had no back issues then sending them more money would be throwing good money after bad.
    I asked Ethan how many issues were missed with KOI NATIONS because that is what will happen to the subscription base- you can't ask folks who's renewal is due to send MORE money after they find they are behind two or three issues from the original subscription. As advertisers see the subscription rate fall they pull the ads or go to an issue to issue ad as they also don't want to caught in that game of music chairs when the music stops on a multiple commitment ad. It's a self fulfilling prophacy in the end.
    Have a good one, Bern. JR
    As far as I'm aware the transition was seamless from KP&G to Koi, but could be wrong. Origin Publishing (the company that publish it) was for a couple of years actually part of the BBC before being sold in a MBO.

I missed one issue of KN earlier in the year. The subscription was extended, so everyone would still receive the same number of issues. That issue was skipped and another came out timely. The issue that should be coming out currently is now delayed. Such things happen in these economic times. If it wasn't for social security, medicare, unemployment insurance, etc., I do believe the U.S. would look ever bit as bad as in the Great Depression, with bread lines and rioting in the street. There are a lot of folks who need much more important things than a new koi or pond filter.... or subscriptions to any magazine at all. The businesses that get through it will be all the stronger, but a lot of good people are being hurt in the process. It's how things have always happened... even more harshly in the past. It's just not pretty to see it.

I've not followed this story too closely Ethan, how many issues has KOI NATIONS missed at this point? One or two? JR
    I haven't technically missed any. One came later than what I expected and I am waiting on my current issue. I remember several months ago, koi usa was later than I expected.

TO be honest, I really do not care, as long as my subscription is honored by both magazines.

There is an amount of Grace that one needs to show magazines such as USA and Nations, as those who are putting their time, money and effort into it are doing so for a love of the hobby, and usually not to make a dime. I don't want to sit back now and debate who is and who is not making a dime off these magazines. We all know someone has to profit from their existences.

However, I do think that when we have a hobby like collecting high end koi, it it wonderful to have two magazines that really help to get out some good information from great hobbiests around the world...
    The views I have are completely representative of who I am, and may/may not be representative of clubs I may or may not be a part of.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    I haven't technically missed any. One came later than what I expected and I am waiting on my current issue. I remember several months ago, koi usa was later than I expected.

TO be honest, I really do not care, as long as my subscription is honored by both magazines.

There is an amount of Grace that one needs to show magazines such as USA and Nations, as those who are putting their time, money and effort into it are doing so for a love of the hobby, and usually not to make a dime. I don't want to sit back now and debate who is and who is not making a dime off these magazines. We all know someone has to profit from their existences.

However, I do think that when we have a hobby like collecting high end koi, it it wonderful to have two magazines that really help to get out some good information from great hobbiests around the world...
    For the life of me I can't understand why KOI USA keeps being brought up?

For the record, KOI USA has never missed an issue and has always distributed issues within the two nonths time frame of the issue date.

Also for the record, The profits from KOI USA get donated back to the AKCA to support its programs and the hobby. KOI USA is a volunteer organization that subcontracts the publishing, printing, subscription maintenance and advertizing/account recieveable positions out to third parties. Authors are not paid but do receive two extra complimentary issues.

I feel for those who may be adversly affected due to the Koi Nations situation. That is still no reason to continually drag KOI USA into the fray, here or elsewhere. Doing so simply adds unessary concern due to poor attempts at even poorer comparisons between the two magazines and thus can cause what is otherwise unwarrented concerns based on bad speculations, bad comparsions and bad innuendos.

Steve Childers
    Editor
    KOI USA
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Doesn't everyone know that the AKCA and KoiUSA are really just fronts for the Mafia and CIA?
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast