Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 4000 Filter

Tosai

Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 4000 Filter

i am a newbie, i have about apprx 1500 gallon pond with too many fish, all under 1 foot., I want to get a new filter. Will Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 4000 Filter be enough or should i go to the Ultima II Filter 6,000 gal ?

MCA
    Before you change filters...address the stocking levels. No filter can fix an overstocked pond. Recommended max stocking density...1 koi for each 250 gallons. So drop to 6 koi.

Also with so small a pond, did you put in a bottom drain and skimmer? Without those, there is not a good way to move the debris to the filter system for collection and elimination.

The Ultima II 4000 should be more than sufficient for your pond if you have enough pump(atude) to turn the water over frequently (min is 2000 gph max 4000 gph). If you have too many fish, then you have too many fish, fix it. You may need a UV (sized for your pond, fish and sun) to keep the water clear. It is very easy to over feed, so don’t. Winter is coming get ready (you may need some heat or shelter as well).

Quote Originally Posted by kidkoi View Post
    i am a newbie, i have about apprx 1500 gallon pond with too many fish, all under 1 foot., I want to get a new filter. Will Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 4000 Filter be enough or should i go to the Ultima II Filter 6,000 gal ?
    You might want to check out and make a comparison to the EA Nexis Eazy Pod filter.

Tosai
    thankyou all, I know I am overstocked but I just love all of my fish. I am thinking of getting my pond made larger, about 2000 or 2500 gallons larger. Total will then be about 4000 gallons. If I do expand pond then what filter would be acceptable. Good product for the price.

MCA
    I know I am overstocked but I just love all of my fish
    One of the very tough things about growing up is learning that when you love some an animal...the best thing for them...may not be what makes you feel good at the moment. But they animals don't get a vote. So we have to be their advocate...even when that leads to uncomfortable decisions. Love them all enough to only keep the ones you can provide a great home. Find the others another great home.

When thinking about a future larger pond, think of depth, bottom drains gravity feeding filters, skimmers, and other pond design items before jumpiing to the conclusion that you want another...larger bead filter.

consider the info at this link http://www.atlantakoiclub.org/calend...ilteration.pdf
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Tosai
    thankyou, I have a pro coming to give me an estimate. how many 1 foot koi will be alright in about 4000 gallons ?

MCA
    one foot adult koi...or one foot koi that will grow into larger koi? That is why you will see a good rule of thumb to have at least 250 gallons per koi. Understocked is always better than overstocked.

So in 4000 gallons, max I would do is 16 koi...of any current length.

Tosai
    OK~~~~ Thankyou very much

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post

Can somebody please explain why the minimum O2 level for Koi is 10.9 at 32°F and 5.7 at 86°F???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast