Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Chin-san, here are the closer-up pictures of 3 showa babies. Which one??
    --------------------------------
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-4-08-2012-1-..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-4-08-2012-2-..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-4-08-2012-3-..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-4-08-2012-4-..jpg  

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Koicjl View Post
    Junichi san, only one week with you, looks like some change in them already ? I almost didn't recognized the smallest one without the Sumi on it face.
    I double checked, but it was not a wrong fish.

Hi Junichi San,

I can't wait for the senseis on here to start teaching. The nidan on the right of the picture facing down would be my pick. As for the a largest one of the three on the top, is there any concern regarding beni near the shoulder area? The smallest one just seems too short and stubby to me. Do you think it will catch up with the other two? I would love to read your accessments of these fish.

Thanks,
    Sunny

Meg
    the large one to the right has no pants.
    the little one has no shiro on the body which I can tell of at least through pictures.
    the one with the sumi on the nose I would very much enjoy watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    I double checked, but it was not a wrong fish.
    Junichi san do you believe me now ? when I said some of these Goshiki may be turn into Goshiki Showa ? Just one week ago this little guy look
    like Showa now more like a Goshiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    the large one to the right has no pants.
    the little one has no shiro on the body which I can tell of at least through pictures.
    the one with the sumi on the nose I would very much enjoy watching.
    I think you are right about the large one to the right has no pants, But I think she has the mini skirt on. Thanks for sharing your thought.

Everyone please don't be shy this is no right or wrong answers just for fun
    and hope we all can learn a thing or two from this. all comments are wellcom.

Out of all the fry, there are 150 being grown on, with 13 selected as having the best potential, of which there are just 3 Showa. The other 9 are a curious mix that give hope of perhaps one being a surprise. It is a fun adventure! ...There is also a lesson for those who think they will produce a golden gem in their backyard. The fun is more in the quest than in the end result.

I can see why the 3 Showa are being kept. I'm doubtful how they will turn out. At this stage, it seems they will be very dark. The 'sumi nose' has the best overall appearance today. Not having seen it develop, I'm uncertain what the beni is doing. Is it still consolidating? Or, is it showing weakness? (Has it been bent to check the pigment between the scales?) Let's hope it is still consolidating. There is underlying sumi. If it all comes up, there will be little shiroji. Old-style is OK as long as it does not become a Hi Showa. But, as far as I can tell from the photo, the motoguro is not balanced... perhaps wholly absent from one pec? Unbalanced motoguro does not bother me overly much on Kindai Showa, depending on the overall pattern. In old-style Showa it does. For my taste, an old-style Showa needs balanced motoguro to give a complete impression.

Out of the 13, I still find the unique kawari most fascinating. The black stripe down the spine reminds me of a flag I've seen, but I cannot recall what flag. (It is sort of like the flag of Mozambique, but that is not what I was reminded of.) Oh well, my thoughts are not worth much when I find a kawari more interesting than the gosanke!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Out of all the fry, there are 150 being grown on, with 13 selected as having the best potential, of which there are just 3 Showa. The other 9 are a curious mix that give hope of perhaps one being a surprise. It is a fun adventure! ...There is also a lesson for those who think they will produce a golden gem in their backyard. The fun is more in the quest than in the end result.

I can see why the 3 Showa are being kept. I'm doubtful how they will turn out. At this stage, it seems they will be very dark. The 'sumi nose' has the best overall appearance today. Not having seen it develop, I'm uncertain what the beni is doing. Is it still consolidating? Or, is it showing weakness? (Has it been bent to check the pigment between the scales?) Let's hope it is still consolidating. There is underlying sumi. If it all comes up, there will be little shiroji. Old-style is OK as long as it does not become a Hi Showa. But, as far as I can tell from the photo, the motoguro is not balanced... perhaps wholly absent from one pec? Unbalanced motoguro does not bother me overly much on Kindai Showa, depending on the overall pattern. In old-style Showa it does. For my taste, an old-style Showa needs balanced motoguro to give a complete impression.

Out of the 13, I still find the unique kawari most fascinating. The black stripe down the spine reminds me of a flag I've seen, but I cannot recall what flag. (It is sort of like the flag of Mozambique, but that is not what I was reminded of.) Oh well, my thoughts are not worth much when I find a kawari more interesting than the gosanke!
    Thank you Mike, This breeding is kind of fascinating. After each cull we did,
    we find somthing interesting in their change,
    An interesting of these lucky 13 started it when we did our last cull. Discussion started by one said I like this fish, one said but Beni kind of weak. this beni may be better. So for fun we each picked
    a couple interesting fishes and have Junichi san to grow and see. ( not necessary the best fish)
    As for these three fishes , in my opinion I think the Sumi on nose has best body, so so beni, sumi kind of up to early,nice looking now for short term enjoyment.
    The smallest one at least when we picked looks like Showa then has the best skin and sunkin sumi, but body kind of short,an interesting fish as you can see only one week it change alot already.
    The last but not least, this one seem to have nice thick Beni, good sunkin sumi with some nice shiroji break between the sumi, although heavy beni on front half but when sumi on back half come up, could be a very nice fish. I like this one best out of three. but these fishes are so small they can still change so much. ?????? The parents fish is our first time using them, we don't how their character development yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-dscn0190-1-.jpg  

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Hi Junichi San,

I can't wait for the senseis on here to start teaching. The nidan on the right of the picture facing down would be my pick. As for the a largest one of the three on the top, is there any concern regarding beni near the shoulder area? The smallest one just seems too short and stubby to me. Do you think it will catch up with the other two? I would love to read your accessments of these fish.

Thanks,
    Sunny

Hi Sunny,

Here is a picture that I took yesterday. it seems not so much noticeable the beni near the shoulder area on the largest one of the three (so far).

I often say that koi themselves are the best teachers, but as far as I 've experienced, overall proportion of the body won't change in most case.
    In other words, a short body /head baby koi at this time won't be a long body/head koi in future (because that's innate/inborn bone stricture, IMO).

A skinny or stubby body shape at this time is often depend on individual appetite, character, digestion ability or overeating, etc. so that it would have a possibility to change. however, there is a tendency for those stubby baby koi to be a sort of stubby adult koi...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-showax3-5.01-2012.jpg  

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post

Mike, I picked several out of the 13 babies that I personally interested and additionally my friends picked the others. we wanted to see them grow-out in my small heated aquarium. so, these are not really the best potential out of all the 150 keepers.
    I remember that there are some which are suitable for koi show (pattern & quality wise...) but I did not want to see them disappearing beni by rapid growth in heated water.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast