Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    A man after my own heart... Selecting fry and learning as they grow.

The Kohaku look like you are totally on the money. Nice selections.

On the showa... Well I won't say I'm any kind of expert. Confirmations look great for this size. Just looking at general beni and sumi patterns I think you did good there too. Time will tell just how good, but I think you know what you are doing here...

I myself am in the process of getting 5 or 6 sanke fry for my own learning curve. I'm not sure yet if it's going to happen this fall or if I have to wait for March...

Brad
    Hi Brad, here are some image photos for sanke development. I hope it helps for your interest & challenge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-sanke-1.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-sanke-2.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-sanke-3.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-sanke-4.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-sanke-5.jpg  

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
    Hi Junichi,

We met at the Dainichi Sale in Houston this year. Hope, your fish are doing well. How big are your 45 day old showa babies in the pictures? The kohaku in picture#4 is very nice. Is that your #1 pick from that batch? Do you have pictures of the oya that produced these fish?

Thanks,
    Sunny
    Hi Sunny, Yes, these fish from Houston are doing well and are very interesting koi compared to others.

the small showa was about 1 1/2" and the large one was 2" by eye measurement but they are growing.
    I had to compromise the kohaku in #4 picture because there were ones that have better body, better beni or better pattern, etc. but I picked the baby up by an overall evaluation because I feel it is equal to the task of glow-out in a warm water.... (I was not able to find picture for the oyagoi showa)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-002.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-2-.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Hi Brad, here are some image photos for sanke development. I hope it helps for your interest & challenge.
    Alot of sembetsu Junichi!!! Your friend must have alot of time on his hands.

they are able to grow 2 inches per month so that we don't need to wait to give them up for one full year. LOL
    Perhaps then we can get a progress report as a New Year's gift? ...vicarious pleasures.

Showa is very interesting.... Here you go.
    Yes, that's why I favor them more than Kohakus. The sumi makes them unpredictable versus kohakus. I love the transformation of the second showa. I wish I can find out the actual fry that it started out as... I tried to figure it out, but no dice.

As always... thank you Junichi.

The shiroji of the last two snaps looks so much different than the other pictures. Are those different fry or is this an age thing?

The other question I have is the sumi seems heavy for this age. Is this normal for juvenile sumi? and is that any indicator for the adult sumi?

I did get confirmation that my fry won't happen until Feb or March... So I too am living vicariously for a while.

Brad

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Alot of sembetsu Junichi!!! Your friend must have alot of time on his hands.
    We had triple disasters this year, a severe outbreak of dragonfly larvae, mass attacked by a flock of unknown small wild birds, and a cold wave attacked our district last month wiped out newly hatched fry.
    So, these are good enough excuses why I was not able to send GC candidates to you this year....again.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Perhaps then we can get a progress report as a New Year's gift? ...vicarious pleasures.
    I may take a few picture during this winter. btw, the showa chigyo 've got double/ triple in volume since then.
    Unlike our situation, newborn tosai sale begins September. in recent years it became a quite popular to grow-out real tosai during winter among folks over there.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Yes, that's why I favor them more than Kohakus. The sumi makes them unpredictable versus kohakus. I love the transformation of the second showa. I wish I can find out the actual fry that it started out as... I tried to figure it out, but no dice.
    Showa is difficult but interesting since the rank order of kohaku won't be reversed in many cases.....
    you have good eyes, the second one is more sharp quality-wise, isn't it?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by six6guy View Post
    As always... thank you Junichi.

The shiroji of the last two snaps looks so much different than the other pictures. Are those different fry or is this an age thing?

The other question I have is the sumi seems heavy for this age. Is this normal for juvenile sumi? and is that any indicator for the adult sumi?

I did get confirmation that my fry won't happen until Feb or March... So I too am living vicariously for a while.

Brad
    Yes, Brad. the last two snaps are the keepers from 2nd cull while the other pictures are 1st cull stage.

I agree the sumi seems heavy for this age but they do need that much quantity.... a way of culling sanke is tricky, ones that already look like sanke will be culled because suchlike small amount sumi won't last longer for years.
    Btw, those sanke are not our home bred but are bred by a famous breeder. if we got like that, we could be a pro.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast