Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?

Showa beni does not seem to be improving from what I can tell from the photos.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Showa beni does not seem to be improving from what I can tell from the photos.

Happy New Year, Ray.

What does "improving" mean? If it means finishing, ready or look nice, then the beni / Hiban of the small showa won't be looked nice while this growing process. Furthermore, the appearance of the beni will be more unattractive as it grows , though I/we can make beni looks nice, if we want to do so, in the same way as pro do in general.....

I would be content with the small Showa, and concerned about the larger one.

The Kohaku s developing very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kindai View Post
    Happy New Year, Ray.

What does "improving" mean? If it means finishing, ready or look nice, then the beni / Hiban of the small showa won't be looked nice while this growing process. Furthermore, the appearance of the beni will be more unattractive as it grows , though I/we can make beni looks nice, if we want to do so, in the same way as pro do in general.....
    Hi Junichi,
    Looking at the photos of the smaller showa I can see white showing between the scales in the hiban. Since this showa is growing fairly slowly do you feel the beni will still develop into thick solid good quality hiban?

I am really enjoying the photos as these baby koi develop

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I would be content with the small Showa, and concerned about the larger one.

The Kohaku s developing very nicely.
    Happy New Year, Mike.

the shoulder beni on the large showa is breaking and lack of uniformity overall. there was a sign when I took pictures of the fish at 12-13cm last time.
    a good thing is that the proportion/length of the body/frame & the center of gravity looks good (so far) as showa, and also the skin was not too bad as I thought...

As for the kohaku, I have a feeling that it has a little bit short body/short leg = ozutu section compare to an ideal proportion.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-12.27-2010-.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-12.27-2010-b.jpg  

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Hi Junichi,
    Looking at the photos of the smaller showa I can see white showing between the scales in the hiban. Since this showa is growing fairly slowly do you feel the beni will still develop into thick solid good quality hiban?

I am really enjoying the photos as these baby koi develop
    Hi Ray,
    the hiban on the small showa is thin and lack of nerikomi so that I think the beni won't develop into thick solid good quality as if kohaku's. To be a decent beni, according to my experience, it should be like the beni in the attached pics when they are baby....

Beni is important because of Gosanke, (needless to say, body shape & skin quality is important because of Nishikigoi) and eventually sumi is very important because of Showa. so, the small showa has a looooong way to go.

Btw, it is said the benefit for the breeders to making Jumbo tosai is that they can see the fundamental quality & body lines during its process and also can find gender differences for nisai tategoi in spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-10cm.-4-month.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-30cm.-6-month.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-40cm-8-month.jpg  

the hiban on the small showa is thin and lack of nerikomi so that I think the beni won't develop into thick solid good quality as if kohaku's. To be a decent beni, according to my experience, it should be like the beni in the attached pics when they are baby....

Beni is important because of Gosanke, (needless to say, body shape & skin quality is important because of Nishikigoi) and eventually sumi is very important because of Showa. so, the small showa has a looooong way to go.
    You are seeing the little Showa in person, so I cannot disagree with you. Based just on the photos, I think the little fellow is still in the running to be worth space in somebody's pond. The beni is pale, but I do not see that as a negative. I see it as being undeveloped... more like one that is only 2-3 months from hatching. As more photos are posted, I am not seeing any areas where the beni has retracted. It looks to me that it has been very stable in coverage. The pale areas around the scale edges do not concern me as much as they do Ray, mainly because I see them as pale, not white. Have you bent the little Showa to see if pure white shows?

I'm not sure about the reference to nerikomi. Since this is a slow developing tosai, I would not be focused on that.

Jumbo
    You are seeing the little Showa in person, so I cannot disagree with you. Based just on the photos, I think the little fellow is still in the running to be worth space in somebody's pond. The beni is pale, but I do not see that as a negative. I see it as being undeveloped... more like one that is only 2-3 months from hatching. As more photos are posted, I am not seeing any areas where the beni has retracted. It looks to me that it has been very stable in coverage. The pale areas around the scale edges do not concern me as much as they do Ray, mainly because I see them as pale, not white. Have you bent the little Showa to see if pure white shows?

I'm not sure about the reference to nerikomi. Since this is a slow developing tosai, I would not be focused on that.
    I have not bent the body since I/we can see its condition, if white or not, when they make a sharp turn.

Here are some samples of high-end small tosai. they are about same age/size but are pro grade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-d.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-d2.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-s.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-s2.jpg  

I have not bent the body since I/we can see its condition, if white or not, when they make a sharp turn.
    So..... you are seeing white between the scales when the little Showa turns? Or, just pale orange?

I'm already looking forward to next month's photos.

Jumbo
    So..... you are seeing white between the scales when the little Showa turns? Or, just pale orange?

I'm already looking forward to next month's photos.
    It's pale yellow/orange, there is no clear while line between scales (so far).

If the beni holds for a few more months, I guess it may be like the beni on second picture but not like the kanoko conditon of last pic....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-3.29-09-.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-3.29-09-b.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-3.29-09-c.jpg  

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast