Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?

Jumbo

Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?

Showa are 45 days old and kohaku is a few month old.

I stopped by a friend's home and picked up a few our home bred ones for grow-out this winter.

the kohaku looks fairly safe & solid, but the tiny showa looks so fragile. Though the smaller showa has a good quality, I may picked up a wrong fry.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-showa-1.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-showa-2.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-showa-3.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-showa-4.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2010-kohaku-showa-5.jpg  

Hi Junichi,
    I like the kohaku you picked out. Nice body shape for it's size and looks like great color/skin. Showa fry - only god knows???

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Hi Junichi,
    I like the kohaku you picked out. Nice body shape for it's size and looks like great color/skin. Showa fry - only god knows???
    Good evening Ray,

I think the kohaku will be OK, but the showa fry are.....???

I had raised a couple hundreds home bred showa tosai a few years ago. then it ended up with only two male showa in the last picture. LOL,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-showa-glowout..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-culls.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-culls..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2-keepers.jpg  

Your Kohaku's look nice, but it's hard to tell with your showas for me. I've never taken care of koi's that young before. But I would like to know what becomes of your showa choices down the line. I hope you keep posting there transformation. I would like to see what happens to them down the line.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSun View Post
    Your Kohaku's look nice, but it's hard to tell with your showas for me. I've never taken care of koi's that young before. But I would like to know what becomes of your showa choices down the line. I hope you keep posting there transformation. I would like to see what happens to them down the line.
    Showa is very interesting.... Here you go.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-b..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-c.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-1.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-b-1.jpg  

Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-2..jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-b-2..jpg  

I do not know if you picked decent Showa or not. But, I'll put down my thoughts and when you post progress photos, I'll see how I did.

At this stage of development, all I would look for ones that have a fairly balanced distribution of Hi and not a lot of sumi. Then I would eliminate the ones on which the Hi seems to be developing more rapidly and ones the look more stubby than the norm. (At this stage, lots of Showa fry look stubby. It is the more extreme ones that would concern me.)Size at this stage would not matter, unless an obvious runt. If my eye was tending toward larger ones, I would want to be doubly careful that I was not unduly influenced by size. A breeder may be able to tell a good deal about about pigment quality at this stage. I know that I cannot.

Of the two selected, the small one looks like a good choice to me. I would not have selected the larger one. The Hi is more developed than the group as a whole. I would be concerned that the pigment will develop too quickly.

I hope you post photos in a year... and prove I got it completely wrong. LOL

A man after my own heart... Selecting fry and learning as they grow.

The Kohaku look like you are totally on the money. Nice selections.

On the showa... Well I won't say I'm any kind of expert. Confirmations look great for this size. Just looking at general beni and sumi patterns I think you did good there too. Time will tell just how good, but I think you know what you are doing here...

I myself am in the process of getting 5 or 6 sanke fry for my own learning curve. I'm not sure yet if it's going to happen this fall or if I have to wait for March...

Brad

Hi Junichi,

We met at the Dainichi Sale in Houston this year. Hope, your fish are doing well. How big are your 45 day old showa babies in the pictures? The kohaku in picture#4 is very nice. Is that your #1 pick from that batch? Do you have pictures of the oya that produced these fish?

Thanks,
    Sunny

understanding the sumi development is key with picking the right candidates for showa.

Some lines have a false sumi that crawls back, especially in the tail section. other lines at the opposite extreme may show one sumi scale that over the months and years continually rises. then there is those in between

So knowing where the parents came from helps in knowing what to expect.

I find the waiting part of learning, a good excercise in patience but once your familar with what happen with a pair over the years it gets a lot easier in selecting.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I do not know if you picked decent Showa or not. But, I'll put down my thoughts and when you post progress photos, I'll see how I did.

At this stage of development, all I would look for ones that have a fairly balanced distribution of Hi and not a lot of sumi. Then I would eliminate the ones on which the Hi seems to be developing more rapidly and ones the look more stubby than the norm. (At this stage, lots of Showa fry look stubby. It is the more extreme ones that would concern me.)Size at this stage would not matter, unless an obvious runt. If my eye was tending toward larger ones, I would want to be doubly careful that I was not unduly influenced by size. A breeder may be able to tell a good deal about about pigment quality at this stage. I know that I cannot.

Of the two selected, the small one looks like a good choice to me. I would not have selected the larger one. The Hi is more developed than the group as a whole. I would be concerned that the pigment will develop too quickly.

I hope you post photos in a year... and prove I got it completely wrong. LOL
    Showa is weak and more higher deformity rate than kohaku & sanke. also many showa and shiro utsuri are showing a tendency to be a stubby shape. these stubby ones are all out because, interestingly, a basic proportion of body won't change even they grow up to nisai, sansai.

the larger one will be a nice looking "patterned" fish IMO but it will be just an ordinary showa because it does not have tsuya on the jitai while the small one has so-so skin quality with tsuya so that I think it will have a chance....but it could be Bozu (it's hard to see a sigh of beni on the head)

they are able to grow 2 inches per month so that we don't need to wait to give them up for one full year. LOL

(left to right) Dainichi showa, home-bred by a friend, Omosako showa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-showa-1.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-showa-2.jpg   Did I pick wrong ones or future champs?-showa-3.jpg  

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast