Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEw member

Tosai

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Owner/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-8.jpg[/IMG]Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and live in New york. And you can call me a pond "noob" because i have just dug my first real pond. It is 6 ft. by 12ft. and 2.5feet deep in most spots. This is the koi I would like to put in it as I have had him sense he was only 2inches. I would also like to know what kind of koi he/she is. thanks
    p.s. his/hers name is moby dick

Oyagoi
    welcome and be ready to learn alot.
    always keep the picture of this koi as you grow in the hobby and come back to it years down the road.

so far as variety
    call it a pond koi variety- really tough to fit in a certain variety but a koi to keep in a pond.

hello and welcome.

i'm moving up to ny/ct soon and was curious as to why your pond isn't deeper? 2.5' doesn't seem deep enough for the climate. or do you plan on 1)bringing the koi in every winter or 2)heat the pond

i was thinking about going 6' deep on the new pond to be built. the thermocline level i'm guessing will be around 3' or so.

anyways, i am planning on an indoor set up for the winter months.

good luck!

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by azngopher View Post
    hello and welcome.

i'm moving up to ny/ct soon and was curious as to why your pond isn't deeper? 2.5' doesn't seem deep enough for the climate. or do you plan on 1)bringing the koi in every winter or 2)heat the pond

i was thinking about going 6' deep on the new pond to be built. the thermocline level i'm guessing will be around 3' or so.

anyways, i am planning on an indoor set up for the winter months.

good luck!
    Im going to leave the waterfall running in the winter months or heat it and it has a 3' deep hole with tunnels for hiding from predators

Leaving the Water Fall on during the winter will cause your water to become even colder. Come up with another plan to keep a hole in the ice.

One, I'd leave that koi (It's a Doitsu Variety) in a fish tank until spring.

Two, I've never heard of tunnels in a pond, but I guess there's always a first.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Leaving the Water Fall on during the winter will cause your water to become even colder. Come up with another plan to keep a hole in the ice.

One, I'd leave that koi (It's a Doitsu Variety) in a fish tank until spring.

Two, I've never heard of tunnels in a pond, but I guess there's always a first.
    Yes i will be leaving him in the tank until spring he spent his summer in a 75gallon pond in my garden, and also any other suggstions for getting a hole in the ice?

I should have Welcomed you to the Forum first , Welcome !

Other then the size of your pond we really know nothing about filter , etc.. I would suggest using a smaller pump that could help keep a area open in the ice , but not run as a water fall. You don't want your koi to use stored energy they need for winter survival to be used to help them fight currents during the winter that a larger pump would cause like during summer when you want currents.

very cool fish

I am a fan of using a hot pot of water and setting it on the ice to melt a hole into the ice to let the gas escape. Don't break the ice. I turn off my waterfalls in the winter as it brings colder water down to the fish. They don't need that kind of stress. An areator and a hole in the ice is all you need. Even if you get several really warm days, DO NOT feed them! Even if they look at you really nicely and say please! They won't be ready.

Heidi >}<<>}:>

Sansai
    Please dig it deeper. You will never be sorry it is deep, but will quickly regret it being shallow. It is so much easier to dig it deep to start with!! Speaking from experience in a much warmer climate than you have.

Welcome to the forum. We're always happy to see new people entering the hobby

The suggestions to go deeper and kill the waterfall in winter are important advice. A common method for keeping a hole open in the ice is an airstone and/or a small pump running, and at this depth you'll need it. Tunnels sound like a good idea until you have them in a pond for a while. You will wind up getting rid of them sooner or later so you may as well do it now. The illusion of "shelter" from predators is quickly offset by the fact that they trap all manner of feces, create an environment for pathogens to grow and thrive in, and provide opportunities for fish to injure themselves. A Koi pond is NOT an outdoor aquarium and what may seem good in one will be very bad in the other.

Your little guy is commonly referred to as an "Armor Scaled" Koi, which is a doitsu type commonly found at Petco, Petsmart, WalMart, etc... They can be cute, but rarely do they resemble any recognized "variety" of Nishikigoi and most Koi farms sell them off young as baitfish or feederfish with a few of the cute ones going to market in the 20-40 cent price range. They can be cute though and if you like it that is the ONLY thing that matters. The best part about this hobby is the happiness it brings, so soak it up
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast