Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond

Sansai
    Good job!!! You've come a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    Good job!!! You've come a long way.
    Thanks Kent! Still have a LONG way to go though.

One thing I might do at some point is to raise the air lift return barrel about 18". I'll have to cut a new barrel but since uniseals are reusable, that's no big deal. It occured to me that if the return lines get blocked with a leaf or something, it's possible for this barrel to overflow pretty fast.

Any ideas on how I can muffle the vent stacks? There is a LOT of bubble noise from the filters as the air rises and vents off. I'd sure like to find a way to quiet that down.

Sansai
    You could make a muffler out of a piece of matting or open celled foam. This will allow the air to pass but dampen some of the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    You could make a muffler out of a piece of matting or open celled foam. This will allow the air to pass but dampen some of the noise.
    Thanks Kent. I'll try that tonight.

Tategoi
    9600 gph at 150 watts? That's great w/o moving to a smaller pump. I hope you do check to see if there's waste air. Your results are a good incentive for hobbyists to look closer at alternative means of moving water.

Do me a favor, if it's not too much trouble. Your 4" manifold is the right size for 2" lines but I would like to know how the lifts do as they move away from the source. Using balanced air flow, how does the first lifts flow compare to the lest one's?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    9600 gph at 150 watts? That's great w/o moving to a smaller pump. I hope you do check to see if there's waste air. Your results are a good incentive for hobbyists to look closer at alternative means of moving water.

Do me a favor, if it's not too much trouble. Your 4" manifold is the right size for 2" lines but I would like to know how the lifts do as they move away from the source. Using balanced air flow, how does the first lifts flow compare to the lest one's?

How do I check to see if there is waste air? There may be. There is a lot of air coming out of the vents. I had to put 12" stand pipes on the vents to keep the splashing down, and a second tee on the pipes inside the barrels to vent off more air. The water coming into the barrel was bubbling way too much, which told me the first set of vents was not handling the amount of air that was trying to vent off.

I don't have any valves on the individual air lines, but the water flow from one end to the other looks to be the same. When I had two air supply lines on each pipe, I was getting water only out of the first two pipes. When I pinched off one ofthe air lines on each of the pipes, the water is coming out evenly out of all 4 pipes. There might be a slight reduction in the last pipe, but not much at all.

I might try another experiment this evening. I am going to tee the air supply off again and run it over the the diffuser on the bottom drain. I kind of doubt that the pump has enough left for that, but it will be an interesting experiement.

Tategoi
    Interesting, I see you have good sized air supply so they should be equal in distribution. Is it possible the ones not sharing were pinched by the tie wraps?

How long are the air lines?

I'm not criticizing here, you have a very presentable system as is but an operating system is a great opportunity to learn the trivia that leads to a better understanding.

I understand Rich. I am not taking it as criticism. This is all new to me too, and I am still learning. This pond was built sort of as a prototype so I can rebuild my big pond later next year and get it on air lifts.

The hoses were not pinched off. I am not sure why the 8 hoses delivered all the air to the first two pipes and none to the last two. When it was running that way, there was not even any air bubbles in the pipes, just static water. When I pinched off one of each of the lines,everything is flowing perfectly. But I still had plenty of air left to send to the fluidized bed. That makes no sense to me at all. The hoses are all equal in length, I think 65" long. Maybe the issue is with the air supply header. Right now, the hoses are lined up on the supply header just like they are on the pipes. I wonder if the way they are lined up on the header had anything to do with the supply. Might be another good experiment. I want to understand this better.

Tategoi
    I'm interested in manifold operation. It may be that the water momentum in the first lift pulled air from the tubing as with an air injector. There are easy fixes for something like that.

First would be an air manifold to control the individual flows. The manifold could be configured to a T, with the water supply at the center or similar arrangements.

Normally I would consider 4" manifold to supply the 2" lifts as properly sized to reduce internal vortexes to a satisfactory level but we are dealing with components that are much more sensitive to line loss than the centrifugal pumps we are used to.

One of the projects on my list is DIY flow measurement for water or air. I don't expect to be getting back to that list until next year.

I think you mentioned you were going to change your large pond to air lifts. Touch bases with me before you actually get too far into that design. There are a couple of new technologies that will help in systems that don't lend themselves to the low heads necessary for airlifts.

Thanks Rich, I will. Right now, I am thinking of doing it almost exactly like this one. The biggest difference is I won't use a tote....I'd buy a 1500 gallon agricultural water tank as a settling tank. Instead of a single fluidized bed, I'll use four of them. Each pair will tee together to feed the air lift header (two headers and two return tanks) . And then water will return to the pond through 4" pipes that are right below ground level. The pond is about 8' away from the filter area though, so I may increase this to 6" return pipes instead (4 of them). But this project is probably not going to happen until next winter, although I'd like to get the filtration mostly built before I start the project. I have to move all the fish out of the pond and double them up in my other ponds. I can do this in the winter since I am not feeding.

I'll work on finding some valves that will work on 1/4" tubing. Most of them seem to be made for aquarium line, which is only 3/16". It's possible the flow from the first two pipes was so turbulent that it did draw in the air from the last two pipes. I will experiment with this. Is there an easy way to remove the tubing from the barbs? That stuff stays on good!! lol!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast