Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond

Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond

Finally...the new pond is running. Here's how the filtration is set up.

The 4" bottom drain goes to a 275 gallon tote

There is a 55 gallon barrel in the tote with filter mats in it.

Water flows through holes around the top of the barrel

two 4" lines go out of the barrel, out of the tote and into a fluidized bed.

single 4" line goes out of the fluidized bed and goes down to 5' below water level. This forms the airlift header

four 4" lines, each with two 1/4" air lines close to the bottom, 5' down.

these four lines go up and into the top of a 55 gallon barrel, at water level.

Two 4" lines leave this barrel and go back to pond, appx 12" below water level.

Air pump is a Dolphin AV-150

When I first turned on the air pump and opened the valve leading to the header, the barrel took 50 seconds to fill to 50 gallons, so 3600 gph. No water was coming out of the last two pipes, and no air was either.

I pinched off one of the air lines to each pipe so each pipe flows beautifully and it took only 20 seconds to fill the barrel, 9000 gph.

I really wouldn't mind if the flow was less....the pond is only 4600 gallons. Do you think I have enough air that I could divert some to the fluidized bed? There is so much air coming out of the top of the tees that I had to add second tees inside the barrel to keep splashing down. I have 1 1/2" drawdown on the first tank (the tote), 2 1/2" drawdown on the fluidized bed and the air lift tank is dead full, if not a little above full. I am blown away by this flow!! It's WAY more than I was expecting!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond-img_1123-medium-.jpg   Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond-img_1126-medium-.jpg   Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond-img_1128-medium-.jpg   Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond-img_1129-medium-.jpg   Help me tweak the airlift on my new pond-img_1130-medium-.jpg  

Oyagoi
    okay i know nothing
    but easy expertiment

guessing the airlines are all the way at bottom of lift pipes.

what if you raise them higher say half way up will it slow up the flow?

maybe that way you can control the GPH

just a question let me know tho

Thanks. It would actually be a really hard experiment. The air is injected into the sides of the pipes via barbs that are screwed in (the barbs are 1/8" mnpt threaded on one end 1/4" hose barb on the other). No way to raise the air injection points up without re-doing the entire header, not something I'd like to do at this point.

If you have back pressure against the air pump you may be able to add air to your bed. I would assume a airstone for your bed?

The problem being when you are running the air pump wide open (there isn't enough pressure left in the line to force air through a airstone).

But, if your air stone is up higher than your airlift injection point, you may get flow from your stone.

I hope I am making sense. If not ask again.......... My mind isn't quite there today to be much good at transfering what's in my head to the keyboard.

Good Job!!!!!!!!!
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

BTW, to reduce flow, use a smaller air pump. Saves energy as well.

The fluidized bed has one of those big diffuser disks in it and it is quite a bit higher than the air injection points on the airlift. It has a 1" PVC supply line to it so I am thinking that the air will rather go to this since the line is bigger and it's shallower. I'll put a valve in the line in case I am getting too much flow to the disk and none to the air lift. This pump probably is too big but it's one I already had so I used it. I can probably use a Pondmaster 100 on this air lift and get close to the same flow rate. Air lifts are awesome!

Tategoi
    A valve on the diffuser will maintain head on the airlifts but you will be better off just trying it than trying to figure it out on paper. If there's enough left, great. Whatever, I don't know that you have operated the lifts in the system as it will be operating later. You mentioned operating into a barrallel and actual beta tests can still discover problems.

you can always vary the flow slightly by adjusting the airflow to the individual lifts but I wouldn't go there other than to make minor adjustments with balancing, etc.

I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht View Post
    If you have back pressure against the air pump you may be able to add air to your bed. I would assume a airstone for your bed?
    The problem being when you are running the air pump wide open (there isn't enough pressure left in the line to force air through a airstone).
    But, if your air stone is up higher than your airlift injection point, you may get flow from your stone.
    I hope I am making sense. If not ask again.......... My mind isn't quite there today to be much good at transfering what's in my head to the keyboard.
    Good Job!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, add another air brass valve with lever (see link below) to the air manifold and connect an airstone and experiment with the valve and airstone depth to see if the pump can handle it.

Aquatic Eco-Systems: Aquarium Supplies - Brass Valve with Lever

If interested, I have an extra brass air valve like pictured in the link I could send you.

BTW: Thanks for the pictures.

It's looking good CarolinaGirl, I've been following what your doing to your new pond and I like it. I would want to do an air lift pond too some day.

I think I have it figured out. I tee'd off some air and ran it to the diffuser in the fluidized bed. There is a ball valve in the line (it's 1" PCV and the valve is mostly closed). I have it rolling pretty good and still have 5400 gph coming from the air lift. This will work!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast