Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: " rikidozan ", no more

Tategoi

" rikidozan ", no more

For all my friends and kohaku lovers. I was just informed that Dainichi's famous kohaku Oyagoi "RIKIDOZAN" in no more. Due to the extreme heat and drought this year in Niiagata, Dainichi has lost one of their most popular kohaku Oyagoi.

If you own one of her offsprings, you may consider holding on to them because getting another one maybe difficult considering they only have 200 nisai available this year. Although they were able to breed Rikidozan again this year the results are yet to be determined, because a different male was used success rate is still undetermined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails " rikidozan ", no more-rikidozan.jpg  

Jumbo
    That's too bad.

It is when events like this occur that we are reminded of just how risky a business koi breeding can be ... and mudponds, and koikeeping in general. No breeders are more skilled than Dainichi and its staff. Their oyagoi are more precious than anything they produce. Nonetheless, these things occur. A less established breeder could be critically hurt by such a loss. Dainichi will be fine, of course. They have many other oyagoi, and the wherewithal to acquire a replacement. Indeed, they are continually seeking new oyagoi. That is why koi improve over time.

There is a lesson to be understood by the hobbyist. Loss will occur. When it does, mourn a moment and then move on. There will always be another koi, and it will be even more beautiful if you choose.

That was one cool looking koi!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails " rikidozan ", no more-rikidozan.jpg   " rikidozan ", no more-rob-tilley-matsue-castle-roof-ornament-japan.jpg  

bummer.

i was looking forward to picking up a nisai next year...may be out of reach now just like XJr offspring.

looking forward to seeing how the Mano brothers will continue to evolve their kohaku breeding with the next sets of oyagoi.

Quote Originally Posted by 4TEXAS View Post
    For all my friends and kohaku lovers. I was just informed that Dainichi's famous kohaku Oyagoi "RIKIDOZAN" in no more. Due to the extreme heat and drought this year in Niiagata, Dainichi has lost one of their most popular kohaku Oyagoi.

If you own one of her offsprings, you may consider holding on to them because getting another one maybe difficult considering they only have 200 nisai available this year. Although they were able to breed Rikidozan again this year the results are yet to be determined, because a different male was used success rate is still undetermined.
    Was this Oyagoi originally bred at Dainichi? Kinda reminds me of a SFF Kohak..

Beautiful Kohak and at 100cm amazing!!

Oyagoi
    Sad news indeed. I loved the name and the fish from her. Made me wonder, though, which Mano was the wrestling fan????

Turned out to be Shigeru.

Rikidozan a wrestling hall of fame member from the fifties. Actually a Korean, he was the first Asian wrestler after WWII that could beat up on the Americans. In Japan he was a big hero and always the protagonist. In the US he was a big villain and always the antagonist. He was killed by the Yakuza (money owed?) by having been stabbed with a short, urine soaked blade. He died of an infection caused by the wound.

The name with an international feel, and the idea of crossing the ocean, and the implication of strength combined with showmanship, a GREAT name for a great koi. Sad to see her gone.

The fish illustrates the genius of Dainichi, not only in production, but also in marketing.
    ricshaw likes this.
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    Was this Oyagoi originally bred at Dainichi? Kinda reminds me of a SFF Kohak..

Beautiful Kohak and at 100cm amazing!!
    Hi Antonio,

Rikidozan was a SFF bred koi.

Best,

Duc
    ricshaw likes this.

Sansai
    It is a bad news. Did Dainichi's farm lost another parents fish in this spring?

Brett,
    Interesting bit of history thanks for sharing.....Duc thanks for confirming the koi is from Sakai, as that helps me fill in some gaps on it's genetic background and for SK, interesting pictures of the parent and young produced, thanks for posting.
    I know that they have been setting aside her genetcis during the years she was bred, just for such a happenstance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast