Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Best food for koi in warm weather .

Fry

Best food for koi in warm weather .

Hello All .

I am wondering what is the bestest food to feed koi in a place like Miami Florida . We have warm weather all year, and would like to hear about your recomendations .

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by daddy punkin View Post
    Hello All .

I am wondering what is the bestest food

"bestest"???? is that a real word???

What are you trying to achieve with the food?

Ask JR for his fish food recipe

Hello All .

I am wondering what is the bestest food to feed koi in a place like Miami Florida . We have warm weather all year, and would like to hear about your recomendations .

Thank you
    lots of good foods on the market. EA, TOMiGAi, Hikari, Hi-Silk and many others. or if you have the time, make it yourself. nothing like fresh feed.

Each brand has a food for each season and for what you want to achieve.

Hi protein for growth, color enhancing, wheat germ for cooler weather or all purpose staple foods.

what you also need is a feeding program. what to feed, when to feed and how often for your goals and environment.

here is a good reference doc: Texas Koi & Fancy Gold Fish Society - Feeding Koi to Develop a Strong Champion Body Shape & Best Color Development

there are other articles out there.

spend some time looking thru the search function.

and weclome to bito.

best,

duc

Ditto on what Duc said. Also you might want to get a thermometer to monitor the temperature of your water. It gets to warm and the fish don't want to eat, it gets to cold and its not good for the koi to eat.

This brings up a question, if the temperature of the pond is above 50° year round, should the koi owner consider "resting" the koi or not feeding the koi for a period of time? How long should that period of time be?

Fry
    Thanks for the good info .

Im basically trying to achieve good overall health for the fish and secondly I want my fish to get big and show good color.

And to answer the question about bestest being a word , of course it is ..
    New words are being introduced into our language all the time . Its that magical law of entropy . Try using it ....

secondly I want my fish to get big and show good color.
    "Genetics" is a bigger factor than food for size and color.

South Florida has real challenges in koikeeping compared to even Central Florida. I do not feel comfortable making a recommendation. I would suggest considering use of a staple food (such as Hikari staple) during the long period of pond temperatures over 82F. Koi are not able to use all the protein in a high-protein food, like Hi-Silk, in the warmest periods, so it just adds to fouling the water. Consider the high protein foods for the periods when the pond is in the 70sF. I believe a 6-week fasting period is beneficial, and is best when water temperatures are at the low ebb of the year, but in the Miami area that may still be in the 70sF.

I do recommend that you contact the Tropical Koi Club, and check on the best practices being followed in such countries as Malaysia and Indonesia.

BTW, for best the water quality is key. Lots of water changes, flow-through/constant trickle systems do wonders. You may also need to consider a water softener if your water is 'liquid rock', as is often the case in South Florida.

I say find a food your fish repond to well too, with less waste produced and not so hard on the wallet.

Like the others have said find a food with what you want to achieve with your fish.

I know alot of hobbyist here either mix brands to make their special mix.

As you've seen by the participation of varied good suggestions, I could even add to the list with a different routine for certain ages and for the different sexes.

Over the years i've been around different hoibbies one thing has proved true. Find someone in a club in your locale who is sucessful and emulate
    what they do. Then after you have their basics down, use the gifts and intuitions that is unique to yourself to raise the bar a little higher.