Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amikacin

Amikacin

Thinking about using this antibiotic. I see some charts call for sterile saline IP mixed with dose of amikacin. 8 inch koi 0.2 amikacin + .5 sterile saline IP. Anyone got some scoop on this? Treating skin ulcers by the way.

There are directions on koishack for usng Amikacin. Check this thread. Critical Care Emergency Sticky - KoiShack These are the directions I use. As far as dilution, it depends on the strength of the anikacin. The human grade is much stronger than the vet grade. Be VERY sure of which you have and do not overdose. Amikacin is hard on the kidneys but I have never had any issues using it.

Gary, you've been having problems for a while now. What's going on? Can you post your water parameters? What size is your pond and how many fish, what type filtration, how often do you do water changes, last new fish added, was it QT, etc? You know the questions.

The best and least harmful thing for ulcers is Tri-Cide-Neo.

Why Amikacin and not Baytril?

Lordy..... importing, buying, winning auctions, Fed Ex lives here, garage stacked with boxes, every koi medication known to man laying around every table in the house. Other than this everything is fine.

Now I have been told to use Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) as an injection so that will be at vets Friday. He only used tablet form for hairy animals.
    What I think is I am getting fish from cold water and as soon as they hit my warm water, the bacteria goes nuts making little homes called skin ulcers.

Another thing I learned. Watch out for old formalin. Most of my chemicals loose potency with age. I have some old ,8 years+ formalin that burnt the dog out of one of my victims. It gets 'hotter' as it ages. Also I am loosing faith in medicated food. Most of it sits on the bottom with koi avoiding it like it was heron droppings.

I didn't know you could use Cipro for koi. That's an antibiotic they use for bladder infections???

Since these are small fish and all these injections damage the kidneys, I'd be happier seeing you try Tri-Cide first but that's a call you have to make.

I remember visiting your pond many years ago when I lived in Homestead. Beautiful large flow thru pond that was way overstock with Kodama culls. My guess is you need to take out half of your koi and your problem of water quality will fix your ulcer problem. I dare you to post a up date picture of your pond. Sometimes keeping it simple will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sundan View Post
    I remember visiting your pond many years ago when I lived in Homestead. Beautiful large flow thru pond that was way overstock with Kodama culls. My guess is you need to take out half of your koi and your problem of water quality will fix your ulcer problem. I dare you to post a up date picture of your pond. Sometimes keeping it simple will fix the problem.
    I fixed that problem by leaving bd pump on and going to dentist. All gonzo. Now starting over with new stock and new problems. Pond is empty with a few fish that made it through being high and dry for a period of time including Kodama rejects. Those people used to love me. They sent me some sales crud awile back and I told them to stick it..... they had a nerve.
    I have another pond on my patio that has become an experimental/q Tank pond about 2000 gallons. Here is where the problems are

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    I didn't know you could use Cipro for koi. That's an antibiotic they use for bladder infections???

Since these are small fish and all these injections damage the kidneys, I'd be happier seeing you try Tri-Cide first but that's a call you have to make.

Sandy Cip can be used at 20mg/kg and shot IP

Thanks, Graham.

What's the advantage over Baytril or Nuflor?

Bayer products. Both Enrofloxacin (Baytril) and Ciprofloxacin are Fluoroquinolones having similar spectrums of activity. Interesting ..... They both screw up the DNA in certain bacteria cells and that is a good thing. I am tired of feeding them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast