Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Question for Mark Gardner,... with other chat welcome.

Jumbo

Question for Mark Gardner,... with other chat welcome.

Hi Mark, this Sanke came across on Facebook as Grand Champion of the recent local Ojiya Koi Show. Do you have any info. on the commentary among Judges that chose this as Grand Champion? Or, are there outstanding features that aren't visible in the photo, such as impeccable skin quality, beni depth and quality, and sumi quality?

Obviously this choice clubs our 'standards' over the head like a baby Seal,... but I give the Judges the benefit of the doubt, since this is only one photo.

Obviously we're not just talking about pattern alone here,... we're looking at presence and power of body, including tail thickness, tradition of Sanke, single scales of beni, depth and consolidation of sumi,... but also symmetry of the presentation.

What was the inside chatter on this choice?

Also, kuddos to you for being the primary source of visuals from Japan these days. Incredible work that is appreciated by many.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Jumbo
    Hi Brady

The Ojiya Show is pretty tiny, only about 20 vats of Koi.

This was one of only 2 large Koi, the other being a Torazo Kohaku of around 85cm, this Sanke was probably around 80cm.

I wasn't there when judging took place and, due to the fact the Nagaoka Show was on the same day, spent only enough time at both shows to take photos and video, no time for chatting.

For me the Torazo Kohaku was the better Koi but I'm probably biased, Torazo asked me after the jumbo harvest which Koi he should enter, and he duly entered my suggestion.

If I look at the picture compared to the video I have of the Koi the beni and skin perhaps look a bit 'hard' and 'harsh' in the still compared to the video. I'll try and prepare a little video clip of her later.

Mark
    Mark Gardner

Jumbo
    Thanks for the extra info. Mark. It's an interesting Koi for sure,... and an interesting choice as best in the show. The presence of that Sanke is more of a 'Breeder's Koi' or a collector type Koi,... rather than a traditional Show Koi.

The Sadazo type body lines and look of beni and sumi characteristic, but not a traditional Sadazo type face and head structure are also interesting. The sumi shows just how large and bold, and sometimes scattered and overpowering Sadazo type sumi can become,... and also your photo shows the layered depth that type of sumi is also known for.

I'd enjoy seeing your video footage, and any close-ups that show the white ground and skin more clearly.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood