Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Need advice on uncured concrete koi pond

Fry

Question potential koi disaster

Hi , a local business contacted us to supply some koi. They have built an area for koi and water plants at a new location that they are opening tomorrow. Whomever did the designing on the project doesnt know anything about koi and what they need to thrive. The pond is 2 ft deep and about 12 -16 ft long and 3 ft wide, made out of freshly poured concrete (uncured, unsealed), has copper piping, the filter system is for a pool not a pond. The pond is in the shade 24 hours a day. When they contacted me for koi I had assummed they had more knowledge then they actually did in the planning process. We were only contacted to supply the koi for them and they told us they have koi ponds at their other locations in other states and they went on the same specs thats the other locations used when they were built. Just late tonight I have learned that the koi pond was never properly sealed and i noticed the copper piping in the plumbing. Today was the first time I was there to check out the pond itself. I am to deliver 10 koi tomorrow morning 6 am as they are moving the current open location to this new built site and plan to be opened by lunch. I know this is not a good situation to put the koi into, but I dont know if there is a quick fix that can be done either. I am really kind of at a loss. I am a small back yard koi collector, never have i supplied new pond owners before with koi. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the last minute advice.
    Last edited by daisykoi; 12-15-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: retitled to better describe urgency of dilemia

Meg
    simple
    *the pond isn't finished, period.
    *not proper for koi(suggest comets or be prepared to supply new koi on regular basis)
    *with no direct sun water plants will not bloom

if the 10 koi you are supplying them with are your personal koi reconsider unless you just don't care and are simply glad to be rid of them.
    if you are selling them the koi plan on hearing from them about the unhealthy koi you sold them that "just up and died"

Fry

Question thanks meg

How long do you think koi will last before they start being troubled or at risk? ( I have made them very aware of the feelings I have and said they agreed i would not be held responsible for the outcome) But I maybe able to talk them into removing the fish so they can finish the pond, if they would live through their opening day. I have the extra tanks to house them if they decided to go with my concerns and properly fix the pond. Then my question would be what is the quickest fix? The business is not cheap at all, they have funds to work with so i am not trying to be a penny saver, just what would be quickest so they can have koi survive. Thanks again,

Question Re: Need advice on uncured concrete koi pond

Why did a small business contact a small back yard koi collector to supply them Koi?

Meg
    well for a quick fix I don't even know for sure how long the concret needs to cure, if it would initself harm the fish, or how well it will hold water as is, some of the other hobbiest here will need to chime in. sealing it with some pond/pool sealant will take a few days at least
    but the copper needs replacing and the pond needs to be deeper for starts, but it sounds like you know this. and a pool filter will not handle pond filtration needs. but you know this too I suspect.

how long the koi will last? lots of things to factor in on that one.
    ten little tiddlers willl take a while to have trouble, ten large koi will have trouble quickly. I am sure the pond and koi will look lovely for the opening party tomorrow, which seems to be what the concerns are for the bussiness.....unless that uncured concrete issue is an issue

sorry I have no magic answers for you

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    well for a quick fix I don't even know for sure how long the concret needs to cure, if it would initself harm the fish, or how well it will hold water as is, some of the other hobbiest here will need to chime in. sealing it with some pond/pool sealant will take a few days at least
    but the copper needs replacing and the pond needs to be deeper for starts, but it sounds like you know this. and a pool filter will not handle pond filtration needs. but you know this too I suspect.

how long the koi will last? lots of things to factor in on that one.
    ten little tiddlers willl take a while to have trouble, ten large koi will have trouble quickly. I am sure the pond and koi will look lovely for the opening party tomorrow, which seems to be what the concerns are for the bussiness.....unless that uncured concrete issue is an issue

sorry I have no magic answers for you
    New curing and unsealed concrete can leach lime (calcium carbonate) for weeks to months.

Best to cure a new unsealed concrete pond with water in it.

Acid wash or adding "acid" to the water helps with leaching out the lime.

Fish should not be added until the pH starts to stabilize and a water change is done.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Why did a small business contact a small back yard koi collector to supply them Koi?

I am sorry, I think I misunderstood your original post (this is happening more as I get older).

I thought that you meant that a small "Koi" business had contacted you to supply them Koi to sell.

Am I correct that this is just a small business with a pond as part of the landscaping and that they want you to provide them with some Koi temporary for their "opening" or to become permanent residents of their new pond?

Fry
    Hi there- Thanks to everyone for their great advice. We have convinced the company to acid wash the pond, and fill/rinse, fill/rinse, again and again. We'll keep an eye on the ph and wait for it to stabilize. Sorry about not making myself clear initially regarding our interest in their needing koi. The scenario is that the business was set to open and wanted koi for their pond. All poor timing and inadequately prepared, of course. One of the construction workers knew that we had koi and mentioned our name. We happen to have some koi that we were going to craigslist. It worked out well since they came to our home and decided they wanted the koi that we were willing to part with.
    Thanks again for all of your help.