Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Koi changing color or fading

Koi changing color or fading

I was going thru my pics of my koi that I bought a few years ago and noticed that many have changed or lost their color, like fading, I have a budo goromo, that I purchased and now only color prominent is on its head, the rest is faded. What happens here is it the water quality, or the food we fed it. Any suggestions?

I'm no expert but my koi dealer change food and food ammount when he want to bring "back" color.

When we grow on the koi's the color usually fade a little due to heavy feeding and increased nitrate and bacteria pressure. (the sumi is the first to fade) But quikly brougt back when they are transfered to a tank with lower feeding pressure.

Sunlight as you know are very impordant in bringing out or back kois color.
    But I guess you already know that.

It could also just be the genetics of the koi, but it sounds like its a general problem for you.

Also remember that the koi is usually sold when the dealer believes it stands at its best.

Feeding color food generally won't bring back lost beni. Beni fades due to genetics and sometimes water conditions. Once it is gone, it never returns to it's original quality, although some spots of secondary beni may come up. Sumi can come and go though depending on water conditions, water quality and genetics. If the fish you have that lost their beni were purchased as young colorful fish that were not terribly expensive, they were probably male and sold because the breeder knew they had weak beni. Fish that have strong long-lasting beni are expensive and often not sold as tosai.

Many possibilities, but if you are experiencing the same color loss pond wide I would look at environment as the key. Anything that adds stress will cause the skin to suffer and colors to fade. Stress may come from instability of water parameters, poor quality food, high nitrate levels, etc... I tend to start with water conditions (full spectrum of tests, including mineralization) and use that as a baseline to analyze potential problems. Basic tests taken for ph, kh, gh, nitrate, both from the tap and the pond to start. Tests for ph, kh, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, taken morning/noon/night for a full week. Since it is a long term problem a long term approach in testing is necessary.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Ditto to what PapaBear said...

What's your source water? City or Well?

Non stop rain

Its been pouring buckets here in Fresno, California, we have drained pond to normal levels every other day so not to overflow, any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by cencalkoi View Post
    Its been pouring buckets here in Fresno, California, we have drained pond to normal levels every other day so not to overflow, any recommendations?

Sounds like you need to add a Overflow to your pond. Mine is located at the back of my skimmer where I have PVC piping that runs out to the yard for any extra water either from rain or as I add a trickle of water during the evening hours of summer.

Watch for pH swings which will cause flashing. Have you tested the Numbers of the Rain Water ?