Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Quality Skin

Tategoi
    You are right, he only sells imports. And his prices are not super high. It does get into the $250+ but never the $1000s for a tosai. I believe his goal is not to get rich off selling fish but to bring us fair prices and fish that can grow large.

He also says that Japanese koi could reach a very big size... and I read an artical that some carps are 2.5m-3m. M as in meters. I believe he says that the biggest koi he saw was over 100"... but he might have ment carp.

Probably not 100"... that is over 8 feet long. Maybe 100 cm (centimeters).

I know what you are going through. After 8 years of reading and learning all I could through the internet, magazines and tribal knowledge I hit a wall. I couldn't learn anymore until I experienced more... especially when it comes to skin quality. Listen to everyone when they say that you have to see it to learn it. Once you see it and recognize it, then the technical aspects of dermis layers and pigment cells will make more sense and you will KNOW it.

Best of luck on your journey,

Raymond.

Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    You are right, he only sells imports. And his prices are not super high. It does get into the $250+ but never the $1000s for a tosai. I believe his goal is not to get rich off selling fish but to bring us fair prices and fish that can grow large.

He also says that Japanese koi could reach a very big size... and I read an artical that some carps are 2.5m-3m. M as in meters. I believe he says that the biggest koi he saw was over 100"... but he might have ment carp.
    American koi come from Japanese koi so the genetics to grow large are the same for domestics and they are for Japanese. 100" though? No way. That's a fish tale if I ever heard one! Common Carp don't even get that long. World record for a common carp is 88 pounds, WORLDRECORDCARP.COM - The latest news about the current carp world record That fish is maybe 48" at the most. He probably meant 100 cm, which is more like 38" (I think).

Why don't you take a trip up to Lotus Land Koi Farm in north carolina? Brady has some of the nicest fish around. I believe You will get more for your $250 with a domestic than you will an import. You are buying directly from the breeder and eliminating the broker, shipping to the US, and profit for the dealer.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

Now, where can I read more or learn more about "koi skin" online. I cannot make it to Flordia anytime soon and learning online is the best way for me. Is there anyway that JR's lectures or anybody elses could be recorded and posted on youtube for the wannabe koi hobbiest to learn. Because if all the koi information is a "big secret", then how are the 2beKoiHobbiest ever going 2be. I read books and other sources and I think that online is the best way to sharing and passing information.

Now more about koi skin: So it is about the 3d and 2d layer of skin. More so, how the 3d and 2d layer complements on another.

Now when you say genitic, this means that no koi could ever get this unless it's in there bloodline. Because I am a newbe, I have to dissagree to a point. As in if the 2d and 3d does so compliments eathother and is one of the best combinations; thus it must be "high quality skin".

3d layer: epidermis - outermost cellular layer
    2d layer: dermis - contains the scales
    1st layer: hypodermis - fatty layer

Based upon my readings: tell me where is the color located at? Has to be 2d layer right? And if the 3d layer creates an illusion of the 2d layer, then it's "eye poping".

Take the picture I uploaded and tell me if it might be something like that.

Good Morning! well as some one has pointed out, not all things can be taught on line. And there is no camera that can duplicate the vision of a human eye so many things do have to be seen and experienced and not just read about.
    And here is a KEY point when learning about koi appreciation, you have to know what bad is before you can grasp what good is. So good quality represents the peak of skin evolution ( ironically away from beautiful wild skin) only when compared to lesser quality ( or lesser grades).
    Finally like any advanced subject you need to start with 'Arithmetic' in order to advance to 'calculus'. So be patient and learn a step at a time.

In ZNA, the source for all fundamental and advanced nishikigoi appreciation ( these are the folks who created the show standards), the very first step is to understand;

Nishikigoi are of two basic base skin orientations or types- white based skin and black based skin.

If you grasp this idea you have climbed onto the first step of the ladder to understanding koi appreciation. JR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12