Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'On The Farm In Carolina' video segment

Oyagoi
    Brady,

You get the "Albert Schweitzer" (reverence for life) award for koi breeders. Now I work hard to minimize conflicts with wildlife, but you and your snake savin' ways takes the cake.

Once you've freed the snake do you carry it elsewhere (away from the koi) to release it?

I usually take turtles and alligators two bayous over to release them, hoping they can't find the fish farm again. Like when I caught a dadgum wounded osprey in the mono over the ponds once. Took the cursed thing to a rehabber an hour away. Told her this, "You can have this bird for rehab, but either you promise to take it at least 200 miles away to release it or I rip its head off right now." She made the promise, not sure if she kept it...still got plenty of ospreys around. Cormorants OTOH, get a load of type "T" or type "F" (large steel shot) done under general permit (for fish farms in 13 Southern states), of course.

My respect for you grows.
    Brett

Loved the video--I thought I heard a familiar word in there but, wasn't for sure .....When I first started this hobby I was terrified of snakes and ordered John to kill every one...but, after a few years I've actually become quite fond of them and welcome them as long as they aren't taking advantage of free meals by taking up residence in any of my grow out tanks or take up residence in the filters and try to bite me while I'm cleaning them......You gotta like something that can eat those noisy @ss frogs...I had much rather have snakes that behave themselves than all the noise at night from the frogs....
    Lawanna

Frogs don't bite.

I love the noise the tree frogs made all night at the other house. I miss it.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Frogs don't bite.

I love the noise the tree frogs made all night at the other house. I miss it.
    When my kids were young and we lived ten miles from nowhere, tree frogs were all around at night. The frogs liked to congregate on the house windows, and ever since my daughters call them "window frogs" when they hear them singing at night. They can raise quite a row.

I had one job once, "rid the area of noisy tree frogs." We did, partly by stocking the pond and stream behind the house with bass and gars.

That one was almost as good as the job we had "ridding the area of evil spirits" at a home belonging to a famous romance novel writer (Lady Barrow). We did that with some rainbow trout and sunfish in the small pond behind the house.

Meg
    rainbow trout and sunfish ward off evil spirits?! that almost makes perfect sense!....and a wonderful factiod to know, thanks Brett!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12