Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'On The Farm In Carolina' video segment

Jumbo

'On The Farm In Carolina' video segment

A video short from my 'On The Farm In Carolina' series for those who are into Koi farm life in America stuff.

Don't watch if profanity offends.

Some other segments with more intense Koi topics are floating around YouTube also.

Best Wishes & Happy New Year,
    Brady Brandwood

YouTube - Water Snake Mask

Great video!! My 5 year old, a true "reptile boy" was cracking up at the snake and his temporary blindness.

Jumbo
    Thanks redman! It was a fun situation to watch. I was curious if it would figure out a way to get the mask off,... but it just wasn't working out. I guess arms would have helped some in that situation.

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

Oyagoi
    end of video

"do not know if it will strike or run off"

yeah always a good idea to get closer with the camera after that comment

i have viewed other videos where you get closer to heron or snakes and this is the ONLY time i believe the creature did NOT strike.

always love "on the farm"

Oyagoi
    Awesome film.

Of course it is, Brady made it.

Looks kinda like home.....except for the five sided tree leaf, buckeye?, Virginia creeper? The algae, well, plenty of THAT stuff around here.

Although I do capture and move turtles away from the farm, water snakes do not get so much consideration. At such close range that one would have gotten a blast of .22 rat shot out of my Ruger Single Six. I've a long time grudge. I been bit like Brady, many times. But that was not my grudge. A turtle bite is a lot worse, and I hold no turtle grudges. Same thing for alligators. Turtles and alligators get moved, snakes (and frogs) get disposed of.

Waaay back....musta been in '93, Atsushi Suda was visiting in West Columbia for the first time. We'd seined up a number of nice fish, including an 8 inch tancho kohaku. Suda told me it was "the best tancho I've seen in over ten years." Of course we put it back to the pond for further growth.

4 or 5 months later we are harvesting that pond and catch a snake just like the one Brady filmed. Common water snake, I learned the name "Natrix" which has long since been changed. It had a big lump in its stomach so we killed the snake and extracted the fish in its belly. Sure enough it was the tancho, grown to around a foot long and deader'n a hammer.

Funny thing, the crawfish farmers around here love water snakes. They eat frogs and fish, which in turn eat crawfish.

Snakes around here are all asleep right now. So are the alligators and turtles. One of the reasons I like wintertime.

Cool way to begin the New Year, viewing water snake films at a fish farm.

Brett
    Brett

Jumbo
    Hey pskorf, yes close is where all the action is! I think my closest call so far was shooting video from inside the bowling pin area of a bowling alley, and a pin flew up and shaved my head! The video was incredible,... I went straight to K-Mart and bought new underwear.

Here's a short vid clip you'll enjoy Brett. Oh, the 5 sided leaf is poison oak,... much nastier on me than poison ivy. I hate them both though.

YouTube - Head Bangin' Koi Judge.mp4

Best Wishes,
    Brady

Hey Brady! Thanks for the vid. I miss them.

I don't know nutin' bout snakes except the only good one is a dead one.

What was that thing in it's mouth that was opening and closing? I thought all water snakes are poisonous. Will the frog live?

Meg
    You tickled me! I had watched the video three times, showing it to Steve and Ryan before I 'heard' what your warning was about!!
    "Don't watch if profanity offends."
    and even then I wasn't sure if you actually cursed! LOL!

great little clip!

Sandy that is how a snake breaths while it is swallowing a big ol meal!

Jumbo
    Hey Sandy, yep like Meg said, that opening is the glottis, for breathing. You probably have more water moccasins down where you live than I do here,... those pack a pretty nasty venom.

I had a whole lot of culling to do that day, so I got on up to the culling shed after the snake left, and didn't go back to check on the frog.

Haaaa Meg, the Koi here have all heard some pretty foul stuff come out of my mouth! The snake that bit me in the vid was tangled up tight in bird netting, and I was cutting it out to free it when it bit! Not even a 'sorry bro' or a 'thank you'!

Best Wishes,
    Brady Brandwood

I was too busy freaking out watching you touch that snake to hear anything. LOL Did you curse?

I'm scared to death to go in the ponds because of the snakes. I know they're supposed to be scared of me, too but ya never know.

I'm getting better though. I actually let one live last year. They usually get shot on sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast