Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: One of the pump is making a lot of noise

Tosai

One of the pump is making a lot of noise

One of the pump is making a lot of noise. There are two route I can take. 1) Should I replace this pump as soon as possible or 2) Should I wait for it to totally fail then I replace it. Note. I have a total of 4 pump running so with one pump fail I still have 3 other pump running. There is no longer any warranty for this pump.

Quote Originally Posted by no idea View Post
    One of the pump is making a lot of noise. There are two route I can take. 1) Should I replace this pump as soon as possible or 2) Should I wait for it to totally fail then I replace it. Note. I have a total of 4 pump running so with one pump fail I still have 3 other pump running. There is no longer any warranty for this pump.
    It would help if you gave the name and type of pump. Back some seven years ago or more I was at Quality Koi farm , used to buy all my supplies there . They had a pile of used and scrap sequence pumps. Matt told me I could take my pick at $50 each.
    I selected six choosing the ones that rattled when I shook them. Seven years later they are still running. the rattle was made by stones nuts and bolts.
    Regards
    Eugene

Honmei
    There really are only a few things that can cause pumps to make noise. The noise itself (where it is coming from and the type of sound itself) are clues to what is wrong. Something in the fan housing as an example will rattle. The fan housing itself could be bent in rubbing on the fan itself. The impeller or bearings are typical problems as well. All of these are easily fixed with the right tools and a little know how. When a motor itself fails, that is the expensive part of the pump and typically they do not make noise when they fail (most common cause is the motor's armeture winding).

So, like Eugene's example, most time they are easy fixes.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Tosai
    Thank you.

The pump is Tsunami. So it is not the pump motor that is going to spoil rather it is most likely the fan or the fan bearing is having problem.

I will google on how to repair this Tsunami pump. Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    3) Take the pump to a swimming pool pump repair person and have the pump seal and bearings replaced.

If this is a small Tsunami bilge pump, ignore the above.
    Last edited by ricshaw; 01-07-2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: added another line

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    3) Take the pump to a swimming pool pump repair person and have the pump seal and bearings replaced.

If this is a small Tsunami bilge pump, ignore the above.

Thank you.

I don't think it is a Tsunami bilge pump, the model is a 15,000 litre per hour rated pump.

I will try to locate a swimming pool pump repair person on this issue.