Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Can we compare filtration systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    from the pictures it looks as if Steve's Mrs has the right idea!
    Somebody has to have the brains in the family.

You people can leave my Cheryl alone !

The hardest worker at catching the Koi is in the 2nd photo, far right. Now that guy was working up a sweat !

Meg
    not picking on Cheryl at all Troy! I think she has the right idea to find a good seat and watch the "show" lol!!!!

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    You people can leave my Cheryl alone !

The hardest worker at catching the Koi is in the 2nd photo, far right. Now that guy was working up a sweat !

LOL...yeah, right! The first picture looks like a Texas road crew...two people working and many more standing around watching. Anyone want to guess which group was cussing and which was laughing?
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Keep in mind that this is NOT about catching koi for a koi show. It is about catching koi, period. Whilre doing so for a koi show can be aggrevating for the netter and stressful for the koi, doing so for a koi show is under the best of circumstances. For a health concern it becomes even more critical to lessen stress and timely examine the koi.

People tend to "rationalize" their own positions, especially when relating such to others and do so without regrad to the "big picture" and the fact involved. If someone wants a huge pond, hey, fine by me. But they really need to understand how exponentially more difficult multiple factors become. If someone wants to have to seine a pond to catch a koi, fine. recommending such to others though should reveal all of the factors involved with that recommendation and not underscore the cons in the pros and con relationship.

For me, it thing become the simplisity of managing and the health of the koi. If someone wants to deal with the exponentially more difficult (and typically time consumption) and increases (or decreases) on the effects on the koii themselves...hey fine and dandy. But let's simply air out all of the facts verses rationalizations of the cons.

The above is generic and applis across the board and not just to specifcs being discussed.

There ahve been too many time where either I have said or I have heard others say, "gee, I wish I would have listend to so and so," verses rationalizing what postion was actually taken.
    I have to use a seine net to corral koi in order to catch any. It is an unintended consequence of having built as large a pond as available space permitted. If I was doing it over, I would try to come up with a way to get the desired water volume without as much width. I can catch fish by myself, but with a helper there is less stress for me and the koi... and it takes much less than half the time. [However, even after catching and bagging the fish, you have to lift that box. That's not a one person job.]

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Troy,
    As you know I am lazy....errrrrr change that to "efficient." I haven't had to clean a messy skimmer basket in ages.
    Hmmmm.... You've not been dealing with leaves and such. For about 4 months of the year (spread over multiple separate 2-4 week periods), I have one type of tree or another dropping leaves or pollen or catkins. Two weeks ago the last of the pecan leaves fell and we had a windy weekend. The leaf catchers on the skimmers had to be emptied daily. There were at least a half-bushel of leaves that weekend. I refer to the shadecloth cover over my pond as preventive filtration. Having a screenroom around the pond would be more effective!

Same reason Mike , just different type trees. Those damn Sycamore Leaves are bigger then your hand !

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567