Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: two printed koi publications?

almost,

I subscribed to KN the first year it came out then didn't renew after that. Later from time to time I would come across a copy or two and flip through it, but that was about it. I recall reading articles only to ask where the "Rest of the Story" was. Many articles never seemed to have a finish.

Posting here or reading a magazine is part of my Hobby, But not the Hobby for me. KoiUSA gives me what I need as far as articles and show information and Nichrin is a great read from the home of Koi. I only have so much time I care to take away from the True Hobby, which is spending time in my back yard, mud pond or going to shows. I really don't think I need another magazine to make my Hobby better.
    President : GLK&GS
    Officer : NMZNA
    Certified Judge : AKJA

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    KoiUSA gives me what I need as far as articles and show information and Nichrin is a great read from the home of Koi. I only have so much time I care to take away from the True Hobby, which is spending time in my back yard, mud pond or going to shows. I really don't think I need another magazine to make my Hobby better.
    Agreed.

For the more serious hobbyist, a magazine needs serious substance to stay relevant. To gain wider subscriber base, a magazine has to cover all levels and be most focused on the needs of the greater number, which is not so serious. This is a very difficult set of twin goals. The entire aquarium hobby can hardly support two magazines any more. The internet is a strong competitor for advertising dollars. That the koi hobby does allow even one magazine to be successful is quite a statement.

Daihonmei
    Mike do you remember when guppy magazines were in their golden years? I think it was probably in the 1970s when guppy mania was a very serious thing! In those days, master breeders would often have grips with their national organization ( or would have visions of a main stream business) and began to publish their own newsletters and even form their own organizations. The same happened with the betta folks in the 1970s.
    Everything old is new again!

It is true however that specialty magazines about one species- be it tropical fish, marine reefs, rabbits or siamese cats is limited. And if one is a true business enterprise, there simply are not enough subscribers to sustain the cost of printing, binding and mailing. The only model that has proved successful is the volunteer news organ that exists because it is not a wholly consumer based interest ( physic dollars). I kinda like that- a magazine for the koi kichi BY the koi kichi. What advertiser could ask for a more targeted audience?
    Here's my observation, for what its worth-- once a for profit publication widens its subject to widen its subscription rate, by definition it moves further away from it's target. A 'jack of all trades is a master of none' JR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12