Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two printed koi publications?

Daihonmei

two printed koi publications?

with the death of KoiNations magazine I think we are left with two major organizational magazines ( KOI USA and NICHRIN). I also think we still can expect KOI CARP to last thru 2011 and beyond and to be honest I've lost track of the other Brit mag ( KOI?).

If you were a US advertiser where would you advertise to try and reach the qualified customer and get the greatest bang for your advertising buck?
    Second question; how is it that some professionals can write a generic piece about koi, pond design and health issues and others can only write a self promotional piece? I think the difference here is somewhat about 'ability' but i also think some of that is about the wolf in sheep's clothing' mentality. Nothing wrong with self promotion as long as it is presented as what it is.

Anyway, LONG live KOI USA and NICHIRIN and long live the honest koi dealer! we need them all --- badly..
    As always ZNA America remains available to the sincere dealer of koi and innovative products free of charge. JR

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    with the death of KoiNations magazine I think we are left with two major organizational magazines
    When did that happen?

Obviously Koi America would be the best choice for advertisers.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    When did that happen?

I hope you meant KOI USA?
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    When did that happen?

when did what happen? JR

I am not sure if KN is "officially" dead or not. I have not heard whether or not the the owner has actually came out and stated such. I have been told that 3 out of the last 4 and possibly 4 of the last 5 issues did not come out.

The owner did state on kp that there were lots of advertisers that had not paid their fees. And that he was still trying to continue the magazine. But I have heard nothing else and this was back months ago when the first issue did not get shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by jtp79 View Post
    I am not sure if KN is "officially" dead or not. I have not heard whether or not the the owner has actually came out and stated such. I have been told that 3 out of the last 4 and possibly 4 of the last 5 issues did not come out.

The owner did state on kp that there were lots of advertisers that had not paid their fees. And that he was still trying to continue the magazine. But I have heard nothing else and this was back months ago when the first issue did not get shipped.

5 issues = 10 months , That sounds pretty dead to me .

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    5 issues = 10 months , That sounds pretty dead to me .

aaah, I see what Jim N was saying then. I assumed it was dead as it is behind in commitments to the subscribers. So if the publications are spotty and missing in action then I assume the publisher will take new subscription money? That could be a way to get the back issues caught up and encourage the advertisers to give more money as long as it works. Meaning the new subscriber becomes a form of redistribution to the old subscriber. But this looks like a self fulfilling prophecy to me- that is, most think the publication is dead or dying so they won't buy future ads or maybe even pay for past ads ( IE going down with the sinking ship) and subscribers who are missing past issues are unlikely to renew and risk any more funds. Vicious cycle at some point.
    why don't the koiphenites ( I understand KN is their forum publication choice) come up with a fund raiser or maybe a bake sale? None of my business of course, but I'm told it is a very good magazine. JR

None of my business of course, but I'm told it is a very good magazine. JR
    KN was (is?) a darn good publication, chock full of timely, thought provoking information, and geared mostly toward the intermediate to advanced hobbyist. With the international content that its name implies, it was a nice 'complement' to our other wonderful publication, Koi USA.

The subject of the possible demise of KN was extensively discussed elsewhere here on the forum a while back, and though I'm a paid-up subscriber having only received a few issues, I very much lament its probable passing.

Just a question to foster some discussion; where would you think the graph lines cross on the pricing for a truly top notch publication like KN vs. maximizing subscription numbers? I can't remember the original subscriber rate, but the cover price was $6.95 an issue. Where would interest for the serious hobbyist drop off for a 6-times-a year magazine of this caliber? $35, $40, $50 or more?

I suspect, whatever rate koi kichi were willing to pay doesn't begin to come close to the REAL revenue generator on a magazine like this, which is the advertising dollars. So is that where the shortfall was, weak support from the retailers?

For my .02 worth, I'd have gladly paid in the $40-$50 range, I felt it was that good.

why don't the koiphenites ( I understand KN is their forum publication choice) come up with a fund raiser or maybe a bake sale? None of my business of course, but I'm told it is a very good magazine. JR

I believe they are doing somethings but those funds are to help keep their Board Afloat.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    KN was (is?) a darn good publication, chock full of timely, thought provoking information, and geared mostly toward the intermediate to advanced hobbyist. With the international content that its name implies, it was a nice 'complement' to our other wonderful publication, Koi USA.

The subject of the possible demise of KN was extensively discussed elsewhere here on the forum a while back, and though I'm a paid-up subscriber having only received a few issues, I very much lament its probable passing.

Just a question to foster some discussion; where would you think the graph lines cross on the pricing for a truly top notch publication like KN vs. maximizing subscription numbers? I can't remember the original subscriber rate, but the cover price was $6.95 an issue. Where would interest for the serious hobbyist drop off for a 6-times-a year magazine of this caliber? $35, $40, $50 or more?

I suspect, whatever rate koi kichi were willing to pay doesn't begin to come close to the REAL revenue generator on a magazine like this, which is the advertising dollars. So is that where the shortfall was, weak support from the retailers?

For my .02 worth, I'd have gladly paid in the $40-$50 range, I felt it was that good.

Just to add a little perspective, the revenue necessary for a magazine to operate comes from advertisement revenue and is only indirectly tied to subscription revenue. Advertising revenue is tied to ciculation rate (an thus the indirect tie in to the subscription rate. Now, any magazine had to "float" on simply subscription revenue, there would be a direct tie to the price of the magazine and number of subscribers. Odds are that in the koi hobby you would never have enough subscribers (which would fluctuate), based on the price. as subscription price rose to meet all of the production cost, the number of subscribers decreases. as the number of subscribers decreases the production costs per copy increaese and thus the cost increases which mean higher subscription cost and the cycle starts over...a true catch 22. The advertising revenue is what makes any publication viable.....at least any without charitable contributions that can operate at a loss.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast