Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Thoughts on my 20" Bekko

Thoughts on my 20" Bekko

I wanted to enter him in a show one day. Any thoughts? He's 20 inches and a male shiro bekko.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on my 20" Bekko-bekko.jpg  

If that is red pigment on his left eye, he will not fare well in a show. Let's hope that fades. If it is red pigment, you do not have a Bekko, yet.

Otherwise, if there is no red on him, show him soon. From the photo, he has a much whiter head than expected on a male Bekko and the sumi looks good. The negatives for showing are the thin male body and the heaviness of the sumi pattern. However, competition in Bekko is usually light, so he might do well. Against an equivalent Bekko with a full female body, he would lose out. As he grows, his chances decline because the thin body will hold him back more and more.

We seldom see decent Shiro Bekko. They are either mass-produced junk fish, or the by-product of Sanke breeding... Sanke whose Hi has faded away. This creates a real problem for advancement of the variety... nobody is trying to improve it. Adding to the 'problem', IMO, is that Sanke seldom have truly white heads. Rather, there is a pale peach undertone (often cleaned up in magazine photos). So, unlike the pure white of the head of a good Shiro Utsuri, the Bekko typically has an impure head color. It completely ruins the effect compared to Shiro Utsuri. On very rare occasion a Shiro Bekko with a pure white head comes along. These are rare, magnificent creatures with the Sanke-type shiny sumi that breeders want to get in their Shiro Utsuri. But, they are truly very rare. Even a hint of non-white color on the head makes even a fine Bekko, 'just a Bekko.'

I think Mike nailed it pretty well with his comments. The sumi and patterning reminds me very much of a female I had a few years ago but she stubbornly refused to grow much.
    His shiroji does look very nice, especially for a male as Mike mentioned as the head appears free of the dingy "yellow" they so often fall victim to. The red spot on the eye would be a problem if it really is as it appears, and this is not a location easily dealt with by "winter work".

Mike, Is a tiny bit of red that much of a deduction, especially in the bekko class? If I remember right, last year at the CFKS the two shiro utsuris that were the best both had a tiny bit of red here or there. At Kodama’s site in his for sale fish there is a bekko with a handsome asking price (see photo) that has a speck or two . Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on my 20" Bekko-bekko.jpg  

Daihonmei
    A bekko is a white based fish with one pattern. It's closest relative is a sanke which is white based with two patterns-- red and black.
    the breeding of varieties is about enforcing standards, this is important as koi do not breed true.
    So a bekko with red is a sanke and often a very poor example. If you see stains of red and bleeding of red on a bekko it is an indication of a weakness in that isolation of bekko only genes.
    The weighing of good ( very good in the case of this fish's sumi) and the bad ( red prominent in the worst place- the eye where we first look) is a problem. the body is also a slight problem in that the fish is thin. I believe I've seen this fish before while judging? And I think there was no competition ( as is often the case with Bekko) and we admired the sumi very much. JR

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies. And the Bekko does a a spot of red right on the eye. I've never put him in a show before so It couldn't be this fish. I didn't know this much on the Bekko, thank you all for the information! Much Appreciated.

one last thing!

Also, I've been told this fish will grow huge because of the muscle right before the tail section is very thick. Is this true? Any thoughts on that?

Daihonmei
    It IS a good example of a strong peduncle, that's for sure! And the second thing you want to look for is the span of the tail fin and make sure it matches the long and strong peduncle. I wrote a piece on this over on Nishikigoi International if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    It IS a good example of a strong peduncle, that's for sure! And the second thing you want to look for is the span of the tail fin and make sure it matches the long and strong peduncle. I wrote a piece on this over on Nishikigoi International if you're interested.

I would be interested in reading that. Could you send it to me? my email is [email protected]

Always ready to learn more about koi !

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Mike, Is a tiny bit of red that much of a deduction, especially in the bekko class? If I remember right, last year at the CFKS the two shiro utsuris that were the best both had a tiny bit of red here or there. At Kodama’s site in his for sale fish there is a bekko with a handsome asking price (see photo) that has a speck or two . Rob
    Well, I think it best for a judge to say. IMO, the Bekko you posted has some positive traits, but would only do well in a competition only because there were too few entries. The yellow head can be lived with only because it is so commonly seen. Add the red specks so high on the back, and I turn negative. If the spots were below the lateral line, I would be inclined to overlook them, but not when they are so prominent.

And, yes, you can often find a speck of red on a good Shiro Utsuri if you look long and hard. Hopefully, the sumi covers it so it is not readily noticeable. IMO, not being a judge, the Shiro would have to be very good for me not to find a visible speck of red very distracting.