Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: How will this Showa develop?

How will this Showa develop?

He is about 8 inches and I got him in november. Will the grey scales turn black, or will they fade to white?

Thanks for looking
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How will this Showa develop?-photo-3.jpg  

You will be seeing a good deal more black. Good luck.

I would expect that as well. Looking very much like a Hi Showa is in your future.

Hi-Showa

What's a hi showa? I know hi means red. Does hi showa mean a showa that looks like a hi utsuri?

They are saying based on the minimal shiroji (white) currently visible on your fish, and the apparent potential for an increase in the sumi (black) this little fella could easily develop a hi showa pattern. Hi showa have a basic color scheme of only hi (red) and sumi (black) visible across the entire dorsal, as viewed from above. It's belly will, however, remain white, and you may see also see a bit of white at the tips of the pecs, dorsal and caudal fins.

I personally find this pattern rather attractive and have seen a real 'killer' or two hi showa in competition in the past. All a matter of personal tastes, I suppose.

Speaking of shows, I believe in competition and benching judges will 'roll over' such a fish to look at it's underside; white, it's a hi-showa. But if the hi pattern runs all the way down and covers the underside, it's then categorized and judged as a hi usturi.

I've also seen some stunning hi utsuri with a bit of clear-to-white 'trim' on the very last 1/2 inch or so on the trailing edge of their fins.... makes 'em look a bit like reverse black-tip sharks to me and in my mind, also makes for a very 'powerful' looking fish. Just my opinion, however, and I suspect those white tips would cause these fish to loose out to a comparable hi utsuri with solid black fins in any competition.

Enjoy your fish, I believe showa are some of the most fascinating fish to 'grow out' over time.

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    They are saying based on the minimal shiroji (white) currently visible on your fish, and the apparent potential for an increase in the sumi (black) this little fella could easily develop a hi showa pattern. Hi showa have a basic color scheme of only hi (red) and sumi (black) visible across the entire dorsal, as viewed from above. It's belly will, however, remain white, and you may see also see a bit of white at the tips of the pecs, dorsal and caudal fins.

I personally find this pattern rather attractive and have seen a real 'killer' or two hi showa in competition in the past. All a matter of personal tastes, I suppose.

Speaking of shows, I believe in competition and benching judges will 'roll over' such a fish to look at it's underside; white, it's a hi-showa. But if the hi pattern runs all the way down and covers the underside, it's then categorized and judged as a hi usturi.

I've also seen some stunning hi utsuri with a bit of clear-to-white 'trim' on the very last 1/2 inch or so on the trailing edge of their fins.... makes 'em look a bit like reverse black-tip sharks to me and in my mind, also makes for a very 'powerful' looking fish. Just my opinion, however, and I suspect those white tips would cause these fish to loose out to a comparable hi utsuri with solid black fins in any competition.

Enjoy your fish, I believe showa are some of the most fascinating fish to 'grow out' over time.

That is great information, thank you very much for your help. It's much appreciated.