Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few for opinions..new camera and pics.

A few for opinions..new camera and pics.

a snowy and rainy day...and I bought a new camera this week. So, I decided to take a few pics of my basement residents. The gin shiro utsuri is about 16in and from blackwater creek. The Shiro utsuri is 8-10in and also from blackwater. The goshiki is from blue ridge...around 8in. The ginrin hariwake is 8in, also blackwater. Opinions are welcome and appreciated!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-ginshiro1.jpg   A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-ginshiro3.jpg   A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-shiro-small1.jpg   A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-shiro-small3.jpg   A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-gosh1.jpg  

A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-grhari1.jpg  

Meg
    new camera! Merry christmas to you!
    I like your shiro, hope it is female for you, nice shiro and pattern to my eye.
    and the hariwake too, so many look messy but that one has clean color and pattern(as in not smudgd or speckled) look male?
    the goshiki is thin. pretty now, but to dark and to dark in the beni

my two cent...worth, about two cent

Daihonmei
    Good morning Brutus, ( we miss you in the outside! LOLs)

As for your eye for koi-- it is very good at identifying pattern. Your fish always have nice pattern. And I share something in common with you, in my first four or five years in the hobby a tried and collect patterns that made fish look the same but in different colors. My dream back then was to have shiro, kohaku and hariwake with matching patterns! And you may have seen the picture I posted in the past showing my Grand Champion shusui matching pattern wise, with a Hijishiro to the tee!

But if you want to advance your eye for koi any further ( and that is your choice as we all can find an arrested development moment in koi appreciation and be quite happy with that limitation) you will need to come to grips with the concept of grades of koi.

This concept of grades is both lateral and horizontal. Meaning there are superior varieties and there are also grades within ALL varieties.
    If you can pierce this wall of understanding then you will instantly see what I and others are seeing in your pictures ( great positioning of the fish in the frame, by the way, I know that is not easy with little fish!) you post. They are good examples of pattern in medium grade fish. But these are not tategoi or of same quality as other fish posted here. Not an insult by the way so don't take it that way! It is meant to help you see what you currently can't see. JR

Joe's crew has certainly made progress in their Shiros. I get the feeling there is a young koi show coming up. The Shiros could do well.

I'll not comment on the Goshiki because I cannot think of a nice thing to say.... Chalk it up to my having different taste in Goshiki.

The Hariwake is my favorite. The pattern is wonderful and the shine comes across well in the photo. I would prefer it was not ginrin, but with that pattern the little fellow would brighten up any show bowl. I think it should do well in its size, especially if not required to be entered in the ginrin class. But, will it hold up when it has grown to 60cm? I have doubts, and I think the ginrin will drag it down as it reaches 40cm. So, show it while small and enjoy the pure prettiness. ...It's so unfortunate that the hikarimoyomono cannot stay small forever. They have such beauty, albeit the glittery kind.

Daihonmei
    Absolutely, these are koi made to do very well in a young show. Or as a first or second in a major show as long as they are not too large and have to compete with the females who tend to 'come on' at around 16-18 inches. JR

Oyagoi
    Very nice koi. They guys back East (Randy and Joe) are doing better and better. Good on you for supporting their efforts. Although I'm pretty much "on sabbatical" with respect to koi breeding, at least for now, I still hold high hopes for one of the American breeders bringing up a GC soon.

I know both of them and their operations well, first rate and large enough to weather the poor economy. Randy has made a heckuva comeback over the years since my sad visit out there to see about destroying all of his stock. I'm glad to see it. It was tough being the intermediary between him and the government, but both he and the American taxpayer were treated fairly. His great comeback a testament to American perseverance and ingenuity.

Its just nice to see a genuine koi collector collecting American bred koi. One of the biggest problems in trying to produce an American bred GC is finding a hobbiest with both the desire AND the facilities to grow and develop a GC.

Would it not be poetic justice to see brutuscz be part of taking JR's dollar???

I miss brutuscz outside also.....

Brett
    Brett

That would be great Brett...Me with JR's dollar Almost too perfect!! I am moving more in that direction JR. I made a few better purchases last year..and a few that are coming along. I just did not want to disturb those fish with catching and pics. I do have a 16+in kohaku from Richard Rombold that won best kohaku at the new england show....maybe the future of your dollar!!!
    I wanted to show the development of this shiro utsuri...that began life as a showa. This koi actually was awarded as a showa...and it's excellent skin quality was commented on by Art Lembke. After the show...the beni just disappeared completely. I am actually quite happy with it as a Shiro Utsuri. I think it would be very hard to tell it was ever a showa. The gin shiro also won at the same show...many were very impressed with that one. With these types of varieties...I am not looking for them, but simply find them. One of blackwaters biggest sellers is 5 minutes from my house. So, I do not search for a ginrin hariwake...instead, I find odd varieties by accident. My focus is still gosanke and Shiro utsuri.

As far as outside...I was on vacation for the last 2 weeks. Went to Florida to see the family and hit disney for a few days. I will be on the outside again...you can be sure of it. Brett and I can talk gun control...LOL!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-shiro-dev-11.jpg   A few for opinions..new camera and pics.-gin-shiro-dev-11.jpg  

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Meg
    what year is the shiro? how quickly did it loose the beni?

I bought it this year as a 4in hatchling. I think it is around 8-10in now (a guesstimate). So...it is a tosai, entering nisai. The beni went pretty quickly once it began to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    a snowy and rainy day...and I bought a new camera this week. So, I decided to take a few pics of my basement residents. The gin shiro utsuri is about 16in and from blackwater creek. The Shiro utsuri is 8-10in and also from blackwater. The goshiki is from blue ridge...around 8in. The ginrin hariwake is 8in, also blackwater. Opinions are welcome and appreciated!!
    Nice photos and happy to hear they are in your basment. Go easy on feeding as smaller ponds are difficult to control. You need to come back and keep the R wing in check
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast